• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

IMR 700X for 9mm

Started by Roundman, April 27, 2014, 12:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

I found 2lbs of 700X powder at the last gun show. I've loaded about sixty rounds so far using the IMR data chart. Shooting my Glock 17 with the min load of 3.3gn and a 1.16 OAL l I was getting about a 30% failure to feed. All of them went bang but the slide wasn't going back far enough to feed the next round. Moving to the middle of the load range of 3.5gn the ftf dropped to 10%. I've now moved to the upper limit of 3.7gn and shortened the OAL to 1.14 and all of them seem to work just fine. The digital scale that I use tends to fluctuate by as much as .3 of a grain at times. Seems a small amount of wind or changes in temperature can cause it to move around a little.

slagmaker

no experence with the 700X but the .3 grain fluctuation on your scale seems a little much.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Roundman

I try to make sure the scale has the same tare reading before each powder load is measured. I've noticed that the reading will change some. The scale will normally show a tare reading of -129.8 but at times it might read -129.7 to -130.0. I wouldn't mind the fluctuation that much if the powder charge was in the middle of the load data. The fact that it's on the upper end of the safe range makes me check the powder weight a little closer.

slagmaker

Do you have fluorescent lights near your scale or on the same circuit or same power strip? That can cause a digital to give funky readings.

Roundman

gravesco hunter

i can't help you with the 700 i have always loaded titegroup,but i have loaded imr powders in rifles,never had any problems

slagmaker

Quote from: Roundman on April 27, 2014, 06:40:57 PM
Yep, sure do.  :confused:

if you can get the florescent lights away from your scale and make sure they are not on the same power circuit I bet you will have better luck with the scale.

Florescent lights put out interfernece both magnetic and in the power feed. either one of these will throw a digital scale off.