• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Key West.

Started by nastygunz, June 15, 2022, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

My sister and her husband are hanging out in Key West pirate style!

share picture

Okanagan

Major cool!  Always wanted to drive to Key West, prob never will, so thanks for putting up the pics.  I LOVE good key lime pie, but most of it is not well made.  Wish I could taste some from Key West!

nastygunz

I have never met a pie that I didn't love ha ha.

Hawks Feather

I will take the $46 New York Strip, but will get it locally for much less.

MI VHNTR

How about some good Italian food on the menu?  :wink:
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

nastygunz

My Mama was born n raised in Aragona, Sicily, I know good eyetalian food  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

I was going to ask how much all that stuff was on the menu. Then Jerry made me look stupid.
I need to get out more. :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I didn't notice the price either, Jerry has an eye for fine dining :biggrin:

nastygunz

They Have some really fresh chicken there that's for sure!

Hawks Feather

That place has a chicken problem and only like to talk about solving the problem.

nastygunz

If you have ever visited Key West you have undoubtedly seen chickens freely walking the streets, at times even wandering into the occasional business or restaurant. Yes, it's true: Key West has a chicken problem, and we love it. But where did these adorable little birds come from and why do they roam the streets freely? While their origins can't be traced back to a specific moment or event, we have a pretty good idea of where the original gypsy chickens came from and why there are so many today.

The chickens found in Key West are descendants of the jungle fowl that was originally found throughout the Caribbean, including Cuba. Early settlers in Key West had a normal relationship with their chickens, keeping them in coups and using them for food. This was long before the railroads or bridges had been built, so having the means to feed ones self was extremely important. As Key West became connected to the mainland there became less and less of a need to raise your own food, and many chickens were either released or escaped.

In the 1860s during the 10 Year War in Cuba, many Cubans migrated to Key West bringing with them the sport of cockfighting. The roosters found in Cuba were territorial and aggressive, making them perfect for the sport. The sport thrived in Key West until it was outlawed in the late 1970s, leaving cockfighters with roosters they no longer needed. Many of them simply let their once prized roosters go, leaving them to fend for themselves on the streets.

Abandoned hen meet abandoned rooster! Nearly 40 years later Key West's gypsy chickens are as much a part of Key West as the sand, sun, and ocean are. Due to recent spikes in the chicken population, Key West's city commission recently voted to ban the feeding of these feral fowls. Regardless, locals love and protect their funky chicken pals.

Hawks Feather

The chicken issue and the far left lean of a majority of the residents is a good reason to visit, but not stay there.

nastygunz

I can solve their chicken problem with three letters= BBQ...... :biggrin:

MI VHNTR

Quote from: nastygunz on June 16, 2022, 08:40:33 PMMy Mama was born n raised in Aragona, Sicily, I know good eyetalian food  :biggrin:

My family came from Simbario in Reggio di Calabria Italy. I've enjoyed an eyetalian meal or two.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB