• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How many brass?

Started by ROOSTER, September 10, 2006, 07:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROOSTER

I lucked out and was given a 5 gallon bucket completely full of once fired .223 brass. :yoyo:  Mostly win. some fed. How many rounds do you think it takes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket? I was figuring 13 lbs a 1000 and the bucket weighs about 55 lbs. full. So maybe around 4000 rounds? What do you guys think? :wo:

FinsnFur

I'm gonna see your 4000 and raise ya that, times 3.
I do know that 1000 cases fit nicely into a quart ziploc bag. So now we need to figure out how many ziploc bags full of brass you can put back into your bucket with a thousand in each.

I'm gonna say 12 thousand, if the bucket is as full as you say....maybe 13  :biggrin:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rick223

I have 425 .223 brass in a bag it weighed 5.6lbs witch is about 13 lbs per thousand verifying Roosters numbers so if the bucket weighs 55lbs I would say about 4250. :biggrin:

:wo: update after further calculations excluding the tare weight of the bucket
3946 shells should be in the bucket. :whew:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

ROOSTER

Thanks. That's alot of brass to set and count out. :whew: So the weight estimate is the way to go. :biggrin: I need to get a set of cheap scales that weighs in ounces and pounds.

coyotehunter_1

I have no idea how many pieces of 223 brass are in that bucket :confused: ... but it sure sounds like you won't have to worry about running out for a while.

:biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

ROOSTER

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on September 11, 2006, 07:40:25 PM
I have no idea how many pieces of 223 brass are in that bucket :confused: ... but it sure sounds like you won't have to worry about running out for a while.

:biggrin:

Your right. I should go buy another EBR as soon as possible so I can. :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Rooster,

I assume you are planning to reload.  If so, try full length resizing a few rounds and load them up to make sure they will chamber and feed in your bolt gun or AR.  I was given a few thousand rounds and full length resized them thinking that it would do the trick.  I ended up pulling about 100 bullets, dumping powder, etc.  They had been shot through police weapons that seemed to have oversized chambers and they remained slightly oversized even after the first resize.  I ended up getting a small base Redding die that took care of getting it back to where it would feed in anything, but it was a pain.  I  ended up selling some and giving most of it away.  Maybe yours will work fine, but I would hate for you to have to pull bullets from 4,000 rounds. 

Jerry

ROOSTER

I was going to get a small base die before I started reloading them. Your right I would hate to pull a few thousand bullets.  :madd: Thanks  :biggrin:

ohiobob

well what is the answer ???
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???