• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Barnes Varmint Grenade Bullets

Started by Hawks Feather, November 26, 2007, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I was just wondering if anyone has given these a try.  I have a box of the 36 grain .224 bullets, but only shot a few toward the end of the season.  The Varmint Hunter magazine had an article on them, but I am wondering what others are thinking.  From the article, it seems like it might be a good fur bullet for fox and smaller bodied animals.

The ad for the bullets is:  The new Varmint Grenade from Barnes is an all new lead-free varmint bullet that delivers explosive results.  Originally developed for military applications, the bullet's copper-tin composite core is highly frangible, greatly reducing the chance of ricochets.  This flat-base, hollow-cavity bullet remains intact and stabilized at ultra-high velocities, yet fragments explosively on impact.  This bullet virtually vaporizes ground squirrels and prairie dogs, even at extended ranges.  The bullet blow up completely at high-speed impact, creating little or no exit wounds on larger animals.  Extremely accurate for long-range varmint hunting.  They come in .22 caliber (36 grains) and 6mm (62 grains).  The .224 sell for around $15.50/100 and $36.90/250.  The 6mm sell for around $17.65/100 and $40.95/250.

Jerry

browning204

I am going hunting with a guy who uses them in his .243. If we get a coyote in front of him I will let you know how they work.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

HaMeR

Jerry-- I'm thinking they will splash as bad as the V-Max if not worse.

QuoteThis flat-base, hollow-cavity bullet remains intact and stabilized at ultra-high velocities, yet fragments explosively on impact.

^^^^ is why I think this. I wonder if a fox could withstand them. I know over on the 204 Forum the 32gr V-Max are not fur friendly for fox. But I do hope you get good results using them.

Just thinking out loud.  :wo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11