• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Need some reloading help

Started by coyote101, May 05, 2008, 09:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I bought some reloading stuff last week.  I think I'm pretty much set up except for primers and powder.  I have very limited reloading experience from over twenty five years ago but I pretty much understand the basics. I want to work up some loads for .223.  I have an Encore barrel which I believe is 1:12 twist and a Bushmaster in 1:9. I need some advice on powder, primers and loads for several different bullet weights. I have Sierra bullets as follows:  50gr. spitzer, 50gr. semi-pointed, 52 gr. hollow point boat tail, 53gr. hollow point (bench rest), 55 gr. spitzer, and 63gr. semi-pointed. I have a set of RCBS full length dies and a neck sizing die. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different types of powders if I can help it so I'm looking for one or two that ought to work with the bullets and barrels I have. I know there is a lot of .223 reloading experience here so somebody please help me out. 

I also ended up with one each RCBS Rockchucker II and Redding Boss presses. I doubt that I'll need two presses so if anyone can give me the pros and cons of each, that would help me decide which one to keep.

Thanks,

Pat

I'm sure there will be many more questions to follow but any help I can get from you guys now will be greatly appreciated.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

vvarmitr

It sounds to me like you don't have any reloading manuals!  :holdon:   A big No-No!  :nofgr:   But then again ... maybe you do?  :congrats:
W/ those 2 types of guns I would get another bullet seating die because you'll more than likely be shooting different bullets for each.  MAKE SURE YOU KEEP 'EM STRAIGHT & DON'T GET ONE STUCK IN THE OTHER!  We got enough people to pray for on here!  :iroll:
As for loads I'll leave that to others as the 223 doesn't interest me. :sleep2:

I wouold keep the Redding & chuck the RCBS.  If the Redding press is like their dies, it'll be the better one.  :wink:

FWIW V.V.

Hawks Feather

Pat,

I have had four or five RCBS Rock Chucker presses over the past 40 years and I really do like them.  I have never reloaded or even paid much attention to the Redding Boss, but from looking at pictures, it appears to be very similar to the Rock Chucker.  I would check them both out and see if there are any binds when raising or lowering the arm.  If there is nothing noticeable, then I would just use the one that feels better.

Primers are like trucks – some people like one make while others like another, some like big engines and others like small.  I am in the process of using up some of my CCI and Remington primers with a plan in time to switch to the Federal primers that I have.  I really like the 205M for my bench guns and feel that I have slightly better results with them.  I also have several thousand 205 that will work in my everyday guns.  If you have a solid bench and rest you might want to give several primers a try to see if you get any changes in accuracy, etc.

I would suggest getting (or borrowing) the RCBS reloading manual so that you can look over the data there.  They have now set up different sections for bolt guns and AR-15 guns.  The AR that they used is a 1:7 and the bolt gun was a 1:14 which will get you close.

Powder really seems to be a personal preference to the gun.  If you know anyone in the area that reloads, see if you can enough samples to load up some and see how they shoot.  I would be glad to send you some, but the problem is you get tacked with the hazmat fee which is really not worth it for some samples.  In my .223s I have shot 3031, H335, N133, 4895, BL-C2, W748, and TAC.  Different guns seem to like some better than others, but if I were going with only ONE powder, it would probably be 3031.  That is based only on the fact that I have shot a lot of it and I can usually get some decent groups by trying different loads.

I know that many reloaders are looking for: use X grains of this powder, this primer, this bullet, and all will be good, but from my experience it isn't that easy.  I can give you what has worked the best in one of my guns, but that same load might not work as well in another one of my guns on the same day.  The groups are not going to change from 1/2 inch to 4 inches or anything like that, but often they will change.  A groundhog that is hit in the head will not be able to tell the difference between a 1/2 and a 1 inch group reload.  The difference is being able to hit his head as the distance becomes greater and the group size becomes larger.

There is also an "out of print" book by Fred Sinclair and Bill Gravatt called Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook that you might want to try to find.  It has a wealth information.

Let me know your phone number and I will give you a call and see if I can help you out some more.

Jerry

coyote101

vvarmitr,

I didn't mention it, but I have a 1996 Nosler manual and a 1970 Lyman manual. I think I also have a Sierra manual around somewhere, but I don't know where it is.

Jerry,

I'll PM you with my phone number.

Thanks for the help.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

CCP

Hawks Feather gave you some very good info. I have also went through the same powders as Hawks Feather with the .223 and also found different guns like different powders. That being said once I tried Varget in the .223 I was able to find a good load with all my guns using it.I have some BLC(2) and H322 sitting on my powder shelf that doesn't even get used anymore since Varget got on there.

Out of the encore and contender barrels I always full length sized the first firing and necked sized only after that.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Silvertip

CCP,
I doubt you'll find a whole lot better powder then Varget in your 223, another plus is it is an extreme powder, ie. less sensitivity to temperature changes.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

Yotehntr

I agree with Hawk. I really like the rock chucker, and I have 2 different .223's my LVSF likes the H Benchmark power and my AR seems to like the H4895. I really tried hard to get the AR to like the Benchmark so I wouldn't be changing back and forth but  :shrug: . Varget seems to be a very good powder (accurate) but for a hunting round I had to use a drop tube to get enough in for the compressed loads. With the 4895 I worked up to a full load and it was the most accurate.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

I'm using Winchester 748 ball powder.  It measures out well and seems to work well in my ARs.  I have tried others but I think I will buy another can of 748 and stick with it.  Try some different ones and see what works for you.  Post some groups so we can see your results.  I think working up a good load is part of the fun of reloading.  I know that my reloads shoot nearly twice as well as factory loads in my ARs.   I have been working on loads for my new R-15.  You can see these threads on this forum.  Hope you have fun.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

vvarmitr

Jim: do you find pressure swings/point of impact changing between summer & winter w/ the W748?
Though I've not used it; the group of guys I shoot w/ on occasion have found it to be temperture sensative.