• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snow hunt 2

Started by Frogman, January 24, 2011, 09:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

On Saturday 1/22/11 it was 7 degrees when I left the house at 7 AM for the 45 minute drive to the farm with my hunting buddy.  This is really large remote area we can hunt.  I was a little concerned about getting up some of the hills in the snow.  Fortunately we made it OK and did our first stand at about 8:30 AM.  I was set up to the left watching down a holler and Jon was to my right and a little behind me watching out the ridge trail where we had seen bobcat tracks heading.  After just a few minutes I heard Jon move then his gun went off.  A coyote had come in behind him off his right shoulder.  It spotted him before it reached a place where he could bring his gun to bear.  When it turned and ran off the way it had come Jon jumped up and took a shot at it as it ran off.

He missed??  At least we knew the coyotes were active and we had a call in!  A good start to a great day.

We found lots of predator tracks in the snow.  Most were coyote, but we also found bobcat and fox tracks. 

On one stand the tracks told a frustrating story.  I had set up below the ridge trail watching down a pipeling right of way and into a small holler.  Jon was about 50 yards away around a point watching another holler.  He was calling.  After the stand as we walked on out the ridge trail we found fresh coyote tracks that appeared to come right out the ridge trial toward where I was sitting.  The tracks stopped above and behind where I was sitting, then turned and went away from us.   Busted!?!?  At least the calling was working!

We found this really nice deer stand.

Here are some more photos of our day . . .

On one of our afternoon stands a grey fox came in to the call but it too escaped unscathed. 

It was a great day to be out.  Even though we came up empty handed we know there are predators in this area.  Just being out all day and enjoying the outdoors is reward enough.  We will be back to this area for sure in the future.

I hope you guys enjoy the photos half as much as I enjoyed the snow hunt!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

securpro

:yoyo: Great story and pics Frogman, looks like a good place to hunt. Is that deer stand made from old pallets?
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Frogman

securpro,

Don't know if the stand was made of pallets or not.  The boards on the back looked too long to be from pallets.  I have wired several pallets together to make a ground blind, but I don't think this stand was made from pallet boards??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

pitw

Thanks Jim :bowingsmilie:.  Just looking at the trees in some of them pictures was therapeutic    :corn:.  You done good out there just cause you were out there :readthis:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

kyfuzzyface

Thanks Jim enjoyed the story and photos 
Fuzzy

weedwalker

Great pics and nice write up Jim. It's not all about the killing, it's just good to be out there.

linemansteve

Great story and pic's Jim glad you took us along.  Thanks  Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

HaMeR

Glad you got to make that trip happen Jim!!  I know you were looking forward to it.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hidehunter

Glad you got out Jim.  We are goin to have to get together and hit a few stands.  I still have your card you gave me at the expo.

Denver
Denver                                           

iahntr

Sounds, and looks, like a good day !  :thumb2:
Scott