• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Catch and release season!

Started by Brad H, May 24, 2007, 10:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

Our palldefish season only lasted four days and the quota of 1000 fish for this area was met. So now runs the catch and release season that runs three days a week thrrough the end of June. This fishing is the ticket since the regular season is one fish per person and not many of the bigger fish are running that early. The only time I did this was in 84 which was, I think, the worst year for paddlefish ever. The last couple years have been very good, so I thought I'd give it another shot this year. The limit has since been reduced to one fish per person, and I'm not much of a fish eater so I don't feel bad about missing the keeping season. I told a coworker who I knew was into this, that I wanted to head out with him if he got the chance to go, and I'm here to tell you, there's nothing else like it. The rush of hauling one of these fish in is comparable to calling in a coyote.

With catch and release, when one is brought in, the biologists measure it, tag it, and let it go. After that, you're off casting to snag another. The only problems are the snags, and the amount of people crammed into one area. The good thing about it is, everyone is courteous and helpful. When someone hooks into a fish, or snags and looses everything, they move out and someone else steps in. It's a constant rotation of fishermen along the bank and it works well. The snags are really bad. Plan on losing a lot of sinkers and hooks if you plan on doing this. Another problem is these fish tend to dive and wrap around things when hooked. If a snagged one can be brought to surface right away you've got it made.

People come from all over the country to catch these things. The following pic is of a younger guy we met from Casper WY who there by himself and was quite entertaining. If he thought he had a monster on and it dove and snagged up, he went in after it. At one point he wanted me to grab his camera to get some pics for him when he'd just hooked into one. That particular fish snagged up way out there. He ended up walking out and diving in after it, pole and everything submerged. He got the line freed from another snagged hook in a log and finally did get his 46"  fish banked.

My two fishing partners, Dave and Cam.

And me with my firs and second. The first was 43 inches eyeball to tail, the second was 42. Both about 50 pounders. My third was was just a little guy (no pic), 33 inches.

Due to the rocks for the diversion dam, the fish can't get any further upstream when they run at high water, which is what makes this the most popular pallde fishing area.  When hooked into, they head downstream in a hurry.

The biologists tag each fish in the bottom lip. Dave caught two that were already tagged. We caught ll fish between the three of us and had half again as many that either got off or snagged up around something in the bottom.

Like I said, the addiction is similar to calling in a coyote. I'll be making the 17 mile drive again Saturday. Anyone want to join? :yoyo:

Brad

FinsnFur

That is some amazing stuff Brad  :congrats:  to this ole boy anyway.

I sill cant believe you guys get in the water with those things  :nono:
Nice pics, thanks for bringin em in.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Very COOL thanks for sharing. :yoyo: I never seen or caught one of them. :sad: Guess we don't have them here. Let us know how Saturday goes.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

awh

Very cool Brad. Great pics and detail on these. We don't have anything like that around here and I can see what your talking about as far as being like calling yotes. Thanks for sharing.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Brad H

They look tough, but these fish are harmless. Once you know that, it's fun to watch the extremes some guys will go to to get what think might be a trophy.

There was a guy taking pics for a late summer Field and Stream issue. He just walked up and down the bank most of the day. I didn't talk to him, I was just happy he stayed the hell out of my way. :biggrin:

Sounds like this holiday weekend is always a train wreck out there. I had enough crossed lines with what they called "hardly anyone out here", so I think I'll sit this round out.

I sure enough found a new hobby though.

Brad

catskinner

Which river is that, Missouri, Yellowstone?

Todd Rahm

Yellerstone Cat. Hey Brad what ya use for bait for those there water critters?  :confused:

Brad H

Yep, the Yellowstone. Intake MT to be exact.

No bait is needed, Todd. They eat microscopic type stuff. A great big treble hook is tied about 18 inched above a 4 ounce sinker and you catch'em by snagging into'em. I noticed when someone caught one, one or two more were caught at the same time, then there would be a 10 or 15 minute dry spell when no one would catch any. It must be how they run.

About 120 total were caught that day after 9 hours of fishing when we left. That was less than half of the previous day because of the lack of fishermen.

Brad

FinsnFur

Quote from: Todd Rahm on May 26, 2007, 09:43:44 AM
Yellerstone Cat. Hey Brad what ya use for bait for those there water critters?  :confused:

Diapers and live chickens I think I read somewhere  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com