• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Winchester Long Beard XR shells

Started by KySongDog, March 11, 2014, 10:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I've been hearing good things about the new Winchester Long Beard XR shotgun shells.  So I picked up a box of 3 1/2in #4's to see if they built a better mouse trap.   

The result was amazing. These shells shoot tighter than any other lead shell I've tried.  I got a 115 hits on a 9" paper plate with my SBE.   They did equally well in a Stoeger 3500 and Carlson coyote choke. 

If any of you have shot them I would be interested in your results.   For me, the LB shells are what I am taking to the turkey woods this year. 

riverboss

What oz are they? 2 or 2  1/4  oz years ago they had red wads in there shells and they shot great. But they switched them and i stoped shooting them. I coud get 8 pellets in the vitals of a turkey target at 60 yrds with my browning goldhunter and a rhino choke tube.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

KySongDog

I think these shells just came on the market last fall.   The 3 1/2 inch shells have 2 oz loads including the 1/4 ounce of special formula (Shot-Lok) that holds the shot together.   They do have red wads though. 

Here is a video by someone that reviewed them:

HaMeR

At 20 & 30yds those things look purdy darn good. They should kill a bunch of Turkeys this year.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Thanks Johnny i will check them out the next time i get to the store.

KySongDog

Quote from: HaMeR on March 13, 2014, 05:05:30 AM
At 20 & 30yds those things look purdy darn good. They should kill a bunch of Turkeys this year.

At that distance any 2 3/4 inch shell should work.   :laf:

Dan -  Wally World carries them at $21.95 for a box of 10.  WAAAYYYY cheaper than the heavier than lead shells like Fed. Heavyweight or Win. Extended.

HaMeR

Yeah well that's about as far as I can shoot where I'm hunting them.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

I would never pay what they ask for the haevier than lead shot. I can kill them without that stuff.