• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

went riding atv's again on saturday

Started by bigben, December 29, 2008, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

well I got to looking for some more areas to play arond at. I have ran the local trails a good bit and wanted something different. I got on the internet and found a rails to trails system in upstate pa. it is called the snow shoe rails to trails association. You pretty much ride a old abandoned rail road bed. but the last few weeks instead of snow like they usually get they have been getting ice. well the railbed had about 3" of ice on it this morning when we started the ride. I was going to screw some gold screws into the tires center tread but I could not find it in me to screw gold plated screws into brand new tires. we set out on the trail and it was fun. you could go as fast as you wanted. we got up to 45 on the way back to the trucks when we were done. we were still limited by the ice though. a few things about this trail system that made me want to hit it. first you get to ride through a 1200 ft long tunnel. it was the longest and still is the longest tunnel through a mountian in pa. then you ride about 550 ft above the water over a bridge. very cool. I figured that we were going to stick to the trail but the group of riders I hooked up with were pretty cool. once we got across the bridge the head guy turned to me and said how extreme you want to go. I told him whatever he wanted I was following him. we got back in a old abandoned strip mine that had a play area that had some mud holes and hill climbs. nothing too extreme but most of the mudholes you could not break through. I did get some really cool 360's going. I had it to where the center of the bike was the axis. boy if that does not get ya dizy quick. well now for the pice. these are pulled from video so they are not that good.

www.ssrt.org

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Wow! That last pic of that hill looks wicked!   :nono:   That's how I tore up my shoulder last year.  Climbing hills I should not have been climbing.   :biggrin:

NASA

I would have to draw the line at ice skating across that bridge.  I'm acrophobic.    :holdon:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

What's that bridge for exactly? Old railroad with the rails removed?

Looks spooky.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

I'd hate to be the one on the outside edge if passing somebody going the other way. :shck:

bigben

this was a old railroad bed.  once everything was pulled out this group of riders got together and put a riding group together called the ssrt.  the bridge is the old rail line without the rails. 

and if there is somebody allready going one way then you wait.  single line only
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

I'm surprised there is no rail on one side of that bridge.  Looks like a law suit waiting to happen!  Course I guess you can't sue the state??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

it says ride at your own risk at both ends.  and you sign a document saying you release them of all liability.  the bridge is 15ft wide. 

Frogman

Looks pretty high, I sure wouldn't want to take a header off there!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!