• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Crow opener

Started by Silencer, July 01, 2007, 05:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Had to work today for the opener.  Got outta work and headed out to do some shooting.

1st stand was windy, called in 2 that wouldnt commit and stayed high.

Second stand I had to hurry up, momma called and wanted me to pick up a pizza for dinner.

My oldest and youngest boys

Myself

Ended up with 3 in 10 minutes.  All were juvies, one had a bunch of pin feathers on its tail.

My new 1187 performed flawlessly, I'm really gettin to like this shotgun now.

FinsnFur

Mannnnnnnnnn it seems early for that. Nice pics, wish I could have legally went.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Good job Silencer! I almost went this afternoon but got stuck on the puter :sad:

We have no closed season so I will get some before long. Keep it up and get us some more pics of your next hunt :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Silencer

Forgot to mention we were using JS crow audience, then switched over to JS crow distress after the first shots were fired.
Of course I threw some hand calling in there as well.  I have an old coyote howler I can make an old crow sound with,  and also I use the hammerin crow call, its a little higher pitched.

There's one good feeding location here where there's hundreds of birds all day long but I dont have permission.
He lets me coyote hunt, but doesnt want to hear a shotgun shooting crows all day long.

Hawks Feather

CCP,

You have no closed season or no one enforces the restrictions on crows?  I though that crow were on the Federal listing and that was the reason for crow seasons - there were only a certain number of days per year that you could hunt, but it was up to the states to determine which days.  They somehow got on it years ago with some other birds and we are now stuck with a season.  I could be wrong, I haven't really checked it recently.

Jerry

KySongDog

Kentucky's season doesn't open till September 1 but Alabama has no closed season on crows, I think.  Not sure why the states are different but they are.    :confused:

Hawks Feather

I just went looking again to try to find why I thought there was a number of days per year, and found it.  It was on Crow Busters and the magic number is 124 days per year.  You can check it out here.

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart5.htm

Jerry

cb223

I believe the reason is they are classified as a migratory bird.
CHAD

Bopeye

Outstanding Silencer..... :highclap:

I was going to go Saturday, but as usual........."--It happens" :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Silencer

Thanks Bobeye, thanks all.   Cant wait till I get a full weekend off to really stack em up. 

We have a season here, July 1-Nov. 24 and Dec. 28-April 6, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. No limit.

I never understood why a season, until I read how they got "listed" into the migratory bird category through the feds.

CCP

Here is a screen shot from the Alabama game and fish website and it reads exactly the same in there new book.

Game and fish agent told me that Alabama considers crows a nuisance animal. The state automatically gives it citizens a nuisance permit for crows by buying a hunting license.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I really would have thought Crow Busters would be more informed there are other states that do not have a closed season. On the crow buster site it said no decoys during certain times how WRONG they are. After reading the article I now have to wonder what other miss information they have. :rolleye:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Here in Ohio we have to get a HIP number. (free)  Other than that we have a 3 day a week season with no limit. I got a couple nice crow calls from Jerry & so far I've only got to use the one. It called crows into the gun too. :biggrin:  Hopefully I'll get to use the other one sometime this season. I don't like to carry 4 crow calls because I can't give one an honest workout that way. I carry 1 "for sure" call & 1 new one but we haven't had the numbers around here the last 2 years. :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

Now there's a state that has its priorities in line !!!   I'll bet most of the crow I shoot never left the county, let alone state I live in.    2 Thumbs up for the Southern States  !!