• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My lab Stryker Day Drake Buster

Started by Silencer, July 08, 2007, 06:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Been working with my pup and he's 5months old and couldn't get him to water retrieve for nothing. 
Being its 90+ degrees out today, I get the bright idea to take my youngest and walk out in the water to see
if the dog follows.... low and behold, MY IDEA WORKED !!!!   Now I cant keep him out of the water.
I don't think he'll be fully ready for this waterfowl season, but next year look out cupped wings, here comes Stryker !!!!

These wernt pretty retrieves, nor were they fast, nor does he swim elegant, but he got it done finally !!!!!!!!

What a great day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirtyDog

That is just awsome. I love watching a dog work any time.....  :yoyo:

Silencer

Thanks NewDog, I was really getting worried about the water.  He's great retrieving on land and in high grass but was scared of the water until now.  I've alway owned hounds, this is the first lab I've had and he's the smartest dog I've come across.
This bird dog training is new to me as well.

DirtyDog

I have seen a lot of dogs work, but I have never seen a water dog work. I bet it is cool.  :wink:

FinsnFur

Cool. :yoyo:
Before you know it he'll be striding across the water with absolutely no splashing and no visual movement from above. Just a tiny glimpse of his head drifting motionlessly.

Most dogs react the same way when they hit the water for the first time. Just a big splashing, thrashing mess. Once they realize it's a lot less work and that they are actually capable, to simply settle into the water and effortlessly paddle out, their good to go.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Mallardsr

Keep working the dog ! Short intervals .....reinforce.......reinforce....BEWARE your "friends" on opening day. Most dont understand the methodology. Great way to screw up a great dog! You at this point have to decide if you want to kill ducks or train a dog for atleast the next two seasons until he is steady.    RP

Silencer

Thanks Mallardsr, short intervals is what we're doing so I'm on the right track with that.  I was thinking 1 year but 2 sounds better.

ohiobob

Vic
if ya cant use your Retriever for 2 years,here is an Idea,,if that is your little son in the pics just take him with you,,it seems he likes the water also  :laf:  I dont have the Patience OR knowhow to train a dog  :shrug: but good lookin dog and I loved the pics
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???