• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Doves?

Started by NASA, September 04, 2007, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NASA

No one's mentioned dove shooting.  Was the opener that poor in the upper latitudes?  It was so-so at best where I shot.  The numbers just weren't there this year.   :confused:

Silencer

We havent been out, concentrating on the geese cuz there's plenty of them around here that just dont know how to fly north or south.

HaMeR

Haven't had time to look hard for em but they are quite scarce around my stompin grounds. :sad:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bushmaster

I been layin into em on the weekends,  but i think i'm doin somethin wrong.  i shot skeet at the same range as the doves and did fine.  but when the birds started flyin, i was only able to hit the close ones. :shrug:  i got seventeen my first day.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

NASA

Seventeen?  What's the daily limit there?  Ours is only fifteen.

FinsnFur

never took the time up here Tom  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

three shots at three birds.  no birds came home.  but ran into another predator hunter and exchanged numbers.  now it looks like I might have a partner for this season.   :yoyo:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bushmaster

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

TookyRiverCalls

We don't have a season here in NH.  The tree huggers had them put the "song bird" list back in 1983!  It doesn't look like they'll ever be taken off of it either :mad3: 

I'm heading back home to PA on the 12th for some bow hunting.  I'm planning on taking "Big Ben" (my SBE II) with me and drop a few on my Dads farm.
www.tookyrivercalls.com
The Last Call Your Turkey Will Ever Hear

frshwtr

only hitting close ones hhu? well try to pattern the gun with the same loads at the distance you are missing them. its a small body you are shooting at and they can pass thru a pattern real easy. most people i know use light loads of #8 shot and when a bird isnt right on top of you it loses a lot of energy. myself its usually 1 1/4 oz of either size 6 or 7 1/2 shot, mod. choke in a 12 ga.

Silencer

Tooky, where in PA you headed ???

Bob D

Bushmaster,
I've hunted doves all my life and the best advise I ever heard about shooting doves was from an old farm manager . He said " if you shoot where they are, you'll be hitting where they ain't ".
Bob