• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

pa pheasant opener

Started by frshwtr, October 18, 2007, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frshwtr

i guess some of you people have natural born birds, you know native. well here its mostly stocked stuff; put and take. well today i took a walk on some game lands looking for fox sign (area usually has some greys) and saw quite a few pheasants. boy are they dumb right now almost like chickens in the barnyard. already got plans for sat. (not hunting pheasants) so i guess by the time i get out they will be pretty smartened up. for those of you here in pa that are going good luck and let us know how you do, please.

Hawks Feather

I have shot a few pen birds, and have shot a few wild birds here in Ohio.  More wild birds back when there were flocks  around here, but still a few today.  Then I went to South Dakota as a retirement present to myself and I found out what rockets were like.  There was a strong wind that was helping them, but they were WILD.  There was no time to acquire target, follow target, swing through target, and shoot.  It was just try to get the safety off before they were out of sight.  Then too, they were not found in the stubble fields or along the ditch banks, they were in the swail.  No, not swail like Ohio has, it was more like hunting in a sorghum field that had been left uncut for several years.  Swail is not 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter - unless you live in SD.  I was pretty sure that I was going to need another knee surgery by the end of the first day.

Jerry

frshwtr

yes i am old enough to remember wild birds here in pa. early 70s i hunted with beagles and one of them ran birds; boy do i mean run. when she started trailing (cant explain it but she sounded different on a bird) a bird you had to keep up if you wanted a shot. oh thoswe were the good old days, lots of birds and i could run.

Silencer

I remember back when  I was a teen we pull up to the parking area of the game lands just as the stocking truck was leaving.  If I recall it was a second stocking and I wasnt there 2 min and limited out.   
I'll most likely be on a swamp or the river tomorrow unless someone with a beagle gives me a ring. 
We dont have our beagle any more  :sad:  I love running rabbits with a dog.

Then again, I heard on the news this mornin violent storms hit the south and are headed our way ??????

vvarmitr

Love upland bird hunting! At least what I've done of it.
They release pheasant here a few times a year on state ground.  The days they do it ya have to get there 2hrs early to get a parking spot & it's almost shoulder to shoulder. If you're lucky enough not to get shot you'll have a good time. Getting hit w/ bird shot shoots the heck outta your day. :sick2: (pun intended  :readthis:)