• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What kind of geese are these ?

Started by bambam, September 10, 2015, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

My brother and I goose hunted  last weekend and had a little luck. Set up in a cut cornfield in layout blinds. Soon after daylight a small group of geese came in , 3 of them white and about 5 or 6 Canadians. My brother got 2 of the white ones. I know they are not snow geese, they are the same size as the Canadian geese. We had seem them before , always with the Canadians and just as wild. Are they a cross with the Canadians or just domestic geese gone wild ?

FinsnFur

You got me :confused: I'd call em Snow Geese...but I think we need Coulter in here :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

To big for Ross geese.  Snow geese have black wing tips.  They look domestic to me.  Now watch coulter make me look foolish. :doh2: :doh2:
By any chance have you checked the want ads for someone missing a goose?
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

To long necked and thin body for tame geese. They are usually fat and big necked. Maybe albinos? Hell that's my guess.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

pitw

Quote from: riverboss on September 11, 2015, 01:59:52 AM
To long necked and thin body for tame geese. They are usually fat and big necked. Maybe albinos? Hell that's my guess.

I thought of that but on the albino's I've seen you could still make out the distinguishing features like cheek patches. :wo:

Coulter

QuoteNow watch coulter make me look foolish.

Nope, I was looking for the black wing tips too. This picture doesn't do much good for comparison since you can't see the wingtips...but this is a bonafide snow goose from Chincoteague Island, VA.

Those sure look like farm geese to me. The Ross geese also have some black in the wingtips and I believe are smaller. How did they taste?  :confused:

Steve

Coulter

By the way, there is a place up in NY that I used to hunt that had a handful of domestic geese that always hung out with the Canada's. Guess it made them feel cool to hang out with the migrators or something.

bambam

Thanks guys !  I haven't eaten them yet but  the breasts look just like the Canadian geese.

Hawks Feather

You know, they look like that rare endangered pair that went missing a couple of days ago.  The original thought was that they were shot by that doctor that killed the pet lion over in Africa.   :nono:   You might want to eat the quickly and bury the 'parts' in the deep water.

Jerry

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 11, 2015, 05:50:20 PM
You know, they look like that rare endangered pair that went missing a couple of days ago.  The original thought was that they were shot by that doctor that killed the pet lion over in Africa.   :nono:   You might want to eat the quickly and bury the 'parts' in the deep water.

Jerry
I just read about them on twitter! Seems they were escaped from the NAACP farming grounds and were true albinos.[emoji79] They are saying they are priceless and for the first time white lives matter.[emoji276] 
The fine is  $500000.00 for each bird and up to 4 yrs  worth off classes with Jessie Jackson to cleanse your soul.

bambam

Quote from: riverboss on September 11, 2015, 07:00:01 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 11, 2015, 05:50:20 PM

Jerry
I just read about them on twitter! Seems they were escaped from the NAACP farming grounds and were true albinos.[emoji79] They are saying they are priceless and for the first time white lives matter.[emoji276] 
The fine is  $500000.00 for each bird and up to 4 yrs  worth off classes with Jessie Jackson to cleanse your soul.

If Jesse Jackson shows up on my land he will be much more endangered than that lion or any albino I can promise you.  :innocentwhistle: :rolleye: :noway: :eyebrow:

HaMeR

If jackson shows any concern for anything white then I believe they quit using green on our $$.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Okay guys...so here are some more "expert" answers from a waterfowlers forum that I frequent. These guys aren't just a bunch of blowhards either. They really do know their stuff...

QuoteHere in Ohio they wouldn't have counted towards their limit....

QuoteCouple of fine looking Emden Geese! Anser anser domesticus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emden_goose

QuoteThat is an interesting situation. If domestic breed you would not need to worry about a Federal violation of taking a light phased migratory specie during the Canadian Goose season. However, a state warden could nail you. To count Federally it has to be listed in the MBTA and domestic species of geese are not.

Doesn't look like a hybrid Canada Domestic Cross becuase some traits show in first and second generations. Not leucistic either.

QuoteFrom what I can see in the photo I think Carl is half right. I say that because of what little I can tell from the bills. They look thinner and pinker then what I would expect in a pure domestic Greylag. I have seen some nearly pure white or at least very lightly marked Canada x Park Goose hybrids.

If that was a recent photo I know what else I'd say. Just like I don't shoot at dark colored geese when spring Snow Goose hunting I sure wouldn't shoot white geese in September. I guess maybe someone could be 100% sure they were domestic but it takes a lot to be that sure on the wing.

QuoteBarnyard geese......probably taste darn good......

So there you have it...I'd go with the consensus here...

pitw

Quote from: Coulter on September 12, 2015, 06:49:26 AM
Okay guys...so here are some more "expert" answers from a waterfowlers forum that I frequent. These guys aren't just a bunch of blowhards either. They really do know their stuff...

QuoteThat is an interesting situation. If domestic breed you would not need to worry about a Federal violation of taking a light phased migratory specie during the Canadian Goose season. However, a state warden could nail you. To count Federally it has to be listed in the MBTA and domestic species of geese are not.

Doesn't look like a hybrid Canada Domestic Cross becuase some traits show in first and second generations. Not leucistic either.

QuoteFrom what I can see in the photo I think Carl is half right. I say that because of what little I can tell from the bills. They look thinner and pinker then what I would expect in a pure domestic Greylag. I have seen some nearly pure white or at least very lightly marked Canada x Park Goose hybrids.

If that was a recent photo I know what else I'd say. Just like I don't shoot at dark colored geese when spring Snow Goose hunting I sure wouldn't shoot white geese in September. I guess maybe someone could be 100% sure they were domestic but it takes a lot to be that sure on the wing.

Believing a hunter would be as bad as believing a fisherman. :nofgr:

Coulter

I agree Barry...however, these guys aren't just hunters. They are carvers of waterfowl decoys. Some of them actually make a living by carving decoys, nothing else. They truly do know their birds...better than most CO's I might add.

Steve

pitw

Quote from: Coulter on September 12, 2015, 09:14:41 AM
I agree Barry...however, these guys aren't just hunters. They are carvers of waterfowl decoys. Some of them actually make a living by carving decoys, nothing else. They truly do know their birds...better than most CO's I might add.

Steve

Steve I hear you completely and give way to your experience. :bowingsmilie:

However the thought that the Crimson Amphibian calls' himself a hunter still makes me not quite at 99%. :doh2:

Coulter

No need to give way to my experience Barry...we were both on the same page from the start :wink:

Ha....The crimson amphibian still lurks around these parts?

bambam

Quote from: Coulter on September 12, 2015, 06:49:26 AM

Thanks again Coulter !  That third quote there puzzles me . I was in compliance with all Federal and state laws , so how could a state warden have nailed me ?  Just to be sure , I went back and read the federal and state regulations. The state regulations say" Canada/white fronted geese" . I don't remember seeing white fronted geese  in the regulations before. What the L is a white - fronted goose ?  :shrug: