• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

WINTER COON UNIVERSITY

Started by nastygunz, January 25, 2009, 09:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

As usual its cold as hell and snowy here in NH....but inspired by Tikaani"s (homeboy) manly mastery of the winter elements and environment....I first went out and did a little ice fishing this morning.....caught a blue gill topping around 4 inches...but it was fun getting out and doing some ice drilling and jigging...I didnt want to work that hard and bUy minnows and all that so I drilled one hole and jigged with some bologna.... :biggrin:.... low sodium by the way...then went home and did some stuff and took a good nap... :yoyo:....then decided to do a quick scout n shoot (hopefully) fox hunt at this place I have mentioned previously where I see alot of sign and had a red fox run across the road in front of me one evening....so I ease on down there....wade though snow (mental note: GET NEW SNOW GAITERS)....i set up on the edge of a little swamp bordered by a huge corn field....it is sunny and about 16 degrees above...no wind...damn chilly though...so I hand the FX3 about 10 feet in front of me cuz I aint wading to damn far in the snow.....I am thinking the nice sunny field edge might be a good spot for a fox or fisher cat to be laid up watching the field for food opportunities and soaking up some sun....so I put on a good loud blast of wounded woodpecker....then simmer it down to a fairly low level JS Yellowhammer sound... figure I will wait it out at least an hour to see if anything moves in...I am about 70 yards to the edge of the little swamp...using my .17 HMR savage with the 20 grain rounds....well I let the call run about 15 minutes and I am watching the area and I see a black lump along the swamp edge I didnt think was there before...so I very slowly ease my 8X monocular upp and take a look see and see movement and I am sure it is an animal...looks kinda squatty and dark not bright so I am like holy sheet its a fisher cat !!...well its definitely moving now and I am putting the monocular down and easing the HMR up on the shooting stick...got the scope cranked up and hone in on the critter....I make positive ID.....its a coon!.....hes slowly puttering towards me....I know season is open till March 31st...if I get a shot im taking it....he seems to be honing in on the yellowhammer sound but not very quick.....he gets about 70 yards from me and stops and just stands there looking right at me....im in the brush but not wearing white....realtree fall brown....I put the Xhairs on his head and squeeze off a shot....I see his head jerk and he goes down without a twitch...pretty intense even for a coon....I grab my gear and head back out to the road so I can skirt the swamp and go in from the road on the opposite side for a shorter trip through the snow...I bull in getting my damn boots packed with snow....grab the coon...decent size male....prime as hell...hit him right in the head...almost in the eye...no exit I think it went right on down though his neck?....anyways I get out and head home....damned cold....snow packed feet....but what a blast!!....my theory is he was sunning along the field edge and heard the calling which piqued his curiosity....I would have been stunned if it was a fisher cat but it was an awesome experience either way :yoyo:..... I figure I am a shoe in to win the FnF Winter Coon Hunting Contest :yoyo:...HELL YEAH  :highclap: :yoyo: :biggrin:

Silencer

FinsnFur

Your a shoe in alright :eyebrownod:

Nice debriefing.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Do you want my home or work address for when you UPS me my trophy ?................... :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Home will be fine. And I'm going to Next day USPS it, I want it to hurry up and get there. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

:bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:I AM NOT WORTHY :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :biggrin:

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 30, 2009, 09:26:50 PM
Home will be fine. And I'm going to Next day USPS it, I want it to hurry up and get there. :biggrin:

nastygunz

Speaking of fisher cats....in the spot where I know there is one....the old guy I know called me and said he had seen him working his way through some ice fishing shanties hitting the old fish and minnows the guys leave on the ice that last thursday...so I been going up quick before and after work with the hopes of catching the critter out on the ice and popping him....todays the last day you can hunt for them this winter....I pull up right after work about 4:00....first think i notice on the glaring white snow on the pond is something dark...I look and I think damn is that moving?..it is ...Im like SOB is that a fisher?...I slap the spotting scope on it all excited.....its a big danged seagull chawing on a fish somebody left on the ice...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

nastygunz

Im an old coon skinner from way back so I hung that coon up and slicked him out of his hide pretty quick...thick thick coat...man that .17HMR 20 grain hp...hit him almost in the eye....went through the head and straight down the neck and jelloed his chest cavity....heavy internal hemorrhage.

FinsnFur

So were not gonna see any pics of the seagull on a drying board?  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

I had the .223 and a good rest id love to have capped that c-gull.......but thats illegal !........ :eyebrow: