• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Fx5 strikes again! 40lb Female!

Started by GAJoe, December 13, 2006, 06:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJoe

Had a Doc' s appt. this mornin' but had time to do a setup first. Was planning on another location but wind direction forecast turned it into a "no-go". So I opted to go to the spot I killed my first one here near the house.   Went in by moonlight and waited for first light to let out two interrogation howls with my cow-horn howler. A few min' later I started with about 60 seconds of "Cottontail Distress #1" on the FX5. Less than 60 seconds this 40lb female appeared out of the privet that surrounds this hay field to see who was getting her rabbit.

She approached my rabbit decoy jumping to get a better view I suppose. She turned back to the privet and stopped before entering into it, offering me the shot. I took the 150+ yd shot and knew I made contact from the sound. She did a hundred yard lap in the hay field and disappeared into the privet almost where she was when I shot. I walked across the field to find her laying dead just under the first limbs.
GAJoe

Hawks Feather

Good story.  Also a nice looking coyote. 

Jerry

sdLBLhunter

awesome shot a 150 yards, right in the kill zone!

keekee

bowjunkie

Jeb

Good job Joe !! keepem coming ! :yoyo:
                Jeb

FinsnFur

Good job Joe...thanks for sharing it.

The grass is green, and it needs a mowing. What the..??  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Good pic and story I love seeing them Southeast coyotes. :yoyo: :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

paint

good job :congrats: thats a good lookin decoy where could i find one?

GAJoe

The decoy turned out a little bigger than I wanted but it works. I may re-size it while I'm re-cooping from knee surgery.
I formed the body and head out of some packing material that's kinda like the foam that the florist uses but it doesn't crumble at all; it's not styrofoam either, it's something new. I see a lot of electronics packed with it and when I find a large block of it, I grab it! You can work the stuff real easy to form shapes with a hacksaw blade. I split the body and remove material until a "Decoy Heart" will fit securely with the push button near the surface. I leave a hole from the surface to the push-button. I tried the Weasel Ball first but you have to take it apart to turn it on. The Decoy Heart is worth the few bucks more. The latching push-button switch is very dependable. Here's a link:

http://www.decoyheart.com/page2.htm

There is a low motor noise to all three type that I have tried.(Weasle Ball, Frantic Ferrit, Decoy Heart) It's mentioned on Decoy Heart's web page.

I got some fake fur from Hancock Fabrics. This stuff looks like real coyote fur almost. (brown with black tips) I use this instead of real fur so if it gets wet there wont be a problem if I don't get it dry for a while. I sew up a cover to go over the foam. I struggled with putting the head detail like ears, eyes etc.. on. Then I found the dried rabbit faces in a fly tying shop. If it gets wet and starts growing stuff before I get it dry then $4 will replace it. I stitch it on to the fur and add a couple of scared eyes.
Then I took a spring and screwed it up into the foam body and fashioned a stake to stick into the ground. I have about $25 in it. Took a good bit of spare time. Glad you like it.
GAJoe

Smith

Nice going on the yote GaJoe :highclap:.  Knee troubles suck :madd:! I had reconstructed surgery a few years ago and was out for about 8 months. I did what the doctor told me and I had no troubles at all.
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

paint

thanks for the info i may have to give it a try.