• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

electric fillet knifes

Started by bigben, May 17, 2011, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

This past weekend I helped out at a local fishing derby.  I can't fathom how many fish I filleted.  but with 200 kids there with a 3 fish limit you guys can start doing the math.  I did this last year as well.  Two years of doing it with a standard fillet blade I got to lookin at the electric fillet knifes.  The other fella helpin this year had a berkly electric fillet knife.  I got to looking at reviews and it seems that the berkly has a weak motor in it.  It pretty much made sense to me since he was complaining of not being able to cut through the ribs easily because his blades were too sharp.   :confused:  I am thinking about buying one of these. http://www.basspro.com/Rapala%C2%AE-Electric-Travel-Fillet-Knife/product/44707/-958030 any thoughts on em?  I was looking for one I could use without being tied down to a wall socket.  I looked at the rechargable one but don't want to have my batts die when I need em. 

I will mostly be using this for panfish and catfish.  trout I still like a good sharp flexible fillet knife.  but would like a electric one for bigger fish like cats and also trying to get everything I can outta them panfish. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

I've only used one once. Well.....not one time, but once while cleaning fish, and that was while up in Canada fishing for Walleyes a couple years ago.

I didnt mind it for that, cause it is faster once you get the hang of it. But there is some more work to be done because of them.
When I fillet a fish I do it so there is not a bone to be found in any of it. I was taught that way and wont even eat fish with bones in it anymore.
The electric fillet knife, your basically cutting the fish in half along each side of the dorsal fin, which means cutting through the ribs, now we got little bones...and praying you dont severe the guts and taint the meat. With a little practice thats no problem.
Then you go back and cut off the meat with the bones, or stick it out and hope you dont swallow them, and then scrape the belly goop off the fillet. If you scrape the silver skin off your better off too, cause that's has a lot of garbage in it.

I personally would rather fillet them with a regular fillet knife, but thats the way I was taught, and thats the way I'm the most efficient. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

markTNhunter

BEN ive got one of the rapala electric fellet knives and it works great itll cut anything i use it to slice deer meat but for felleting fish i like the old fashion thin blade fellet knife, im so use to  using them i just cant get the hang of the electric one i just make a mess mess withem.with the ole thin blade knife i got a better feel.i dont cut the ribb cage off with my fellet i cut over the top of it so theres no bone at all left in the meat,

bigben

I like to use a regular fillet knife as well.  the last one I bought was a gator from gerber.  pretty nice knife and stays sharp a good while before having to dress it on the included sharpener.  on trout I am normally good enough that I don't cut the rib bones.  on catfish though I never cut the rib bones way to thick to do quickly.  I lay the fish on its belly go down at the front of the fillet to the rib cage.  follow that down along the ribs to the belly and slice through the skin.  Then roll on its side and proceed towards the tail. 

I did end up getting the rapala I used it for the first time on friday night last week.  kept a 9lb channel and a 7lb flathead.  it took about as long as it does with a regular knife only it made it easier to fillet the skin off.  I believe with practice it will get faster.  we'll see if it holds up in the long run. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.