• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Never know what chat will make you Howl about

Started by slagmaker, December 10, 2009, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

I was in chat the other day with a few people in there and I brought up the fact that I am trying to do some howling and I was looking for a decent easy on the pocket book howler. Well wouldn't you know it but pitw spoke up ans said gimme your addy. So OK I went and PM'd him my pertinent information and that was that. Well yesterday I get a package in the mail and I am like WHOOOOO BOY wonder what's inside the box. I tear into the box and start pulling out crumbled up news paper and looking for what might be hidden underneath all the Watertown daily times farm and garden section and Walgreen's adds. and I find it.

A beautiful open read Howler. Nice shape love the color and grain. So I start practicing with it in the house. My cat Snaps was outside on the porch. WAS is the key word. He is a little skittish and when the yote started howling he moved faster than I thought that fat cat could move. He made a bee line straight for the engine compartment of my truck. at least I know now where he hides when the yotes are close.

So anyway here I am proud owner of a brand new call. How brand new? The finish was still a little soft when I unwrapped it. The paper towel was actually stuck to it in a few places and left marks in the finish but that gives the call a real neat look to it. CUSTOM is the word that comes to mind.

SO I get all my running done yesterday and get home so I can get on line and let Barry know that the howler has made it. send him a PM and I get the return that the caller was actually made for me by John_NY. OK cool I will have to start a thread thanking him for the beautiful call. My net is slow so I want to do this in the morning when I have time. Off to bed I go with thoughts of calling in hordes of coyotes with my new howler.

"Insert appropriate dream sequence".

I get up and turn on the computer, make a pot of coffee and look at all the package material laying all over my booger bench. Well lets get all this cleaned up and get some pictures of my new howler. I start shoving all the papers into the box. By the way did you know that the Watertown daily times in the farm and garden section has an excellent recipe for canasta cake. Any way as I am grabbing paper and cleaning up I find a zip lock baggie with something inside wrapped in paper towel. I tell you my hands actually started shaking. I flip over the bag and on it is written "cottontail distress, Elk-mule deer" I can barley contain my excitement as I start unwrapping it. Inside I find a beautiful call made from you guess it elk and mule deer antler............. Snap's ran straight to the truck.

So here is a pic of the calls with some shell casings for size comparison. I will post better pics later

and a very big

thank you from me to both PITW aka Barry and John_NY aka J.B Calls for the calls. I am going out tonight to see what I can do with them.

and a lesson to all. Watch whats in the wrapping
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

John_NY

As I was reading this I really felt bad. I was wondering about the finish with me trying to get it in the mail as soon as I could.  I could always redo it for you or I can make another if you want me to. Not a problem. Then I wasn't reading anything about the distress call. I'm thinking oh no, he tossed the boxed out.  :doh2: Then I see you found it. Whew.  :congrats:   Across the road from my house there is a river "the Oswegatchie" and a bunch of yotes that live down in the tag alders. They hear me so much they ignore my calling. When I tuned the Osage howler it actually got them yipping so That's when I stopped tuning.  :eyebrownod: 

When Barry contacted me I told him I'd send a photo for his approval and he said that wasn't necessary  "I did it anyway" but he is always a nice guy to do business with.

Now in case alscalls sees this I'll post the picture I sent Barry. Al loves my blue towel.  :roflmao:

Thanks
John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

slagmaker

OH NO!! no worries on the finish. I just gave it a good rubbing in my hands and whallaa smoothed right out. BUT the little groves that the texture of the towel left....... that is to stay there. like I said CUSTOM.

I thought it was osage but I wasnt real sure.

I will say it is lound and clear call. Now if I can just learn the vocolizations that I need to get them talking back to me.

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:   :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:

That blue towel has done a lot of good things....... :laf: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Wow I'm glad to hear you found the antler call :whew:.  John said he had sent it and when we were chatting I forgot all about it  :doh2: cause you seemed awful excited with just the howler.  Now like I told you when I need help with cameras, you be stepping up to the plate.  Thanks John your speed and generosity are way above and beyond :yoyo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

OH by the way. This weekend I am pulling up a multiflower rose bush. The basse of this thing is huge. If it is big enough I am going to see if I can get enough wood from it to have someoen make a call or 3 out of it. The wood makes some beautifull bowls and such so if the wad is big and solid enough I may have a package headed out to you.

It's getting harder and harder to find them of suffecient age anymore to be able to make anything from them.

John_NY

Now I gotta google that wood and see what it looks like. I know I never turned any.

Thanks for the comment Al. I feel like that Chatlie Brown character with my trusty towel.  :roflmao: 

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

HaMeR

Nice calls Linus!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:   :roflmao: :roflmao:

Nice gesture Barry!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Quote from: HaMeR on December 10, 2009, 05:57:04 PM
Nice calls Linus!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:   :roflmao: :roflmao:

Nice gesture Barry!!  :congrats: :congrats:

Gesture my [thing most people sit on, wider on some than others] :readthis:.  This lad knows cameras so I expect payment in full for the howler in information.  Linus on the other hand threw in the antler call which would have blown me away two years ago but I'm starting to learn a thing or two about you "cheap" folk :wink:.

FinsnFur

Barry I know a few things about cameras too :sad:

Not a lot but...oh nevermind :doh2:

:laf:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 10, 2009, 06:34:41 PM
Barry I know a few things about cameras too :sad:

Not a lot but...oh nevermind :doh2:

:laf:

PM sent Jim  :biggrin:

slagmaker

Hey the howler was enough to make me have to pee. the added distress call almost made me pass out .

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Damn Jimbo!!! A bit forward there dontcha think??!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm sure you will be repaid several fold for your nice gesture.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Yeah, I couldnt believe it. I got me a new Ruger stainless 243 coming. :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao: cough cough bullshiite cough cough  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

You just let me know what you need to know about cameras and I will help ya out in any way I can

pitw

Quote from: HaMeR on December 10, 2009, 07:32:30 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: cough cough bullshiite cough cough  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hey he knows computers not camera's  :innocentwhistle:.

slagmaker

Hawks Feather