• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Almost scored again, twice in one week.

Started by SCcoyotehunter, February 22, 2010, 09:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

I went out howling/locating tonight. I only made a few stops near home when I came near one of Todd and mine's favorite honeyholes. I howled in an opposite direction not really wanting to strike and interest from our honeyhole, but they could not stand it. They answered and carried on for a few minutes.
I sat listening and reminising of our night hunt in the snow when we shot the double. I thought to myself, self, this is just like the time before. You know your gun is in the back of the truck. So, I did. I drove down the road and pulled into a wooded lot to hide my truck. I grabbed my gun, stool, and caller and eased in the gate. Here is the place I was hunting.

This is the exact set up that Todd and I did less than 3-4 weeks ago. I eased down to the corner and walked out and set the caller out about 40 yds and went back and  set up against the fenceline. I howled one time and realized although I could see it was too dark to see where my caller was. So I ran out and moved to inside 20 yds and sat back down, howled again.
Suddenly, movement, and within shotgun range. There he was. Just like before. He came right to the caller. I shoulder my gun and pointed directly at him. I am guessing the coyote is 25yds. He is steady trotting and I'm aiming right at him. (Now keep in mind, I am not using any lights, its 1/2 moon, cloudy and dark) I was waiting for the perfect moment, when, across the field maybe 3/4 miles away is a street light shining through the trees and across the field, a tiny yellow blob of light. As the coyote is trotting along he runs right across the path of this street light and I suddenly can see my whole barrel and the coyote, disappears. My eyes could not readjust to the darkness, at the same time I think my safety made a faint click as I moved it over to FIRE and he was gone, he slipped into the darkness. II almost thought I could see him hauling @$$ to the other side of the field, but it was really too dark to tell. I never saw him again. I looked up on the hill to my left and could see another coyote standing on the horizon. Would have been an easy shot with the rifle. Too bad.
It got my heart pumping, and tore me up inside. This is why I can't get enough.
The picture shows the colors from when Todd and I got the double, but same scenario. Red dots are where the caller and coyotes were. green dots is where I was. Where it says Top of Hill, almost where the "T" on Top is is where the 2nd coyote was standing. Purple dot is where the truck was parked.

Huntinfool

That really looks like a great place I can see why you call it your honey hole!

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does the
Fire Burn Brightly

Romans 8:28

Montani Semper Liberi --- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛÎ'Î'Ε