• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Scope Lens Caps- Good or Bad

Started by Teamroper, June 16, 2010, 06:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamroper

Just put a new Nikon scope on my Model 70 and I am debating on whether or not to buy some flip-up end caps or not.  And if I do what brand is the best. Any advice would be great .I use this gun 99% of the time for coyote hunting and 1% for deer hunting.  Don't want to spend the extra money if they're not worth it but on the other hand if I should have a pair I don't want a piece of junk.  :shrug:
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

weedwalker

I don't have any on my rifle yet, but there's been a few times hunting in the snow I wished I'd had them. It sucks when you throw your gun up and can't see for the snow and ice on the lens.

pitw

I myself never use them  :shrug:.  Don't mean they aren't great but I just never needed the extra stuff to worry about.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Teamroper

Not much snow down here in Tenn. (except for last year, of course). I do hunt coyotes year round though.
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

Frogman

I have the Butler Creek flip up see through ones on my AR.  I like them real well.  Keeps the lenses clean and dry when I am walking to and from stands.  When I get set up I flip them open.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hidehunter

I don't have any on mine but do plan to get a set of Butler creek before the snow starts flying.  I've used them with other guns and really liked them
Denver                                           

alscalls

I have them on my 6mm I like em but they are not designed for a snap shot.........  They do a GREAT job of keeping the weather out.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bigben

butler creek here on all my guns.  this year when hunting in the snow I was thankful for them when carrying the gun on my shoulder.  when I got on stand I would flip em open.  when I was leaving I would flip em shut.  I hunt with cheaper scopes that don't have the fancy coatings on em so it helps a good bit for me atleast. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

vvarmitr

Have the Butler Creeks on about all my scopes! Yeah, sometimes they get in the way, but having clean lenses to look through is important to me.
One other thing. I put my caps on at the store!  You want those babies on there snug! So make sure you get the ones that fit tight.

Okanagan

The need for scope caps depends on where you hunt and how you hunt.  In west coast rain I have never met a hunter who did not have them.  Learning to push the button on the Butler Creek cap on the near end and flip up the far end in one move as the rifle comes up to shoulder is standard.  That motion probably does not add a tenth of a second, (and maybe adds no time at all) if you do it while you are doing something else that has to be done anyway, like shouldering the rifle. My son uses see throughs and killed a buck at 8 yards with the caps in place.  

The caps are on all of our rifles all of the time, even on dry dusty roads as well as during rain, sleet, snow and walking through wet/snowy brush etc.  The only exception is sometimes while I am on a calling stand on a dry day when it is not raining nor dripping.  As said, that is a rare exception.

I don't care for Butler Creeks but like them better than any others I've tried,   :shrug:  and I've used most kinds including the homemade ones from inner tube.  Michael's stretch fit are pretty good and I have used them for years at a time.  I attach the Michael's to the rifle and still lose a pair every other year.  I break about one end or the other of Butler Creeks per year.

As said, they gotta fit tight yet lock into place as intended or they are nearly useless.  

Hawks Feather

I think most of the pros/cons have been covered.  Their ability to seal out water has improved over the years.  Some of you can remember the early half-inch tube Weaver scopes that came with loose fitting covers.  Those were famous for allowing moisture to remain inside the cap which could lead to rust on the steel tube.  Since then, the covers and scope bodies have improved, but I still take the time to make sure that I wipe the scope (under the cover) if I have been out in rain or snow.  Might not really be needed, but I will still continue to do it.  They will keep the dust off of your lens and possibly keep it from being scratched should a limb hit your lens. 

Jerry

alscalls

I guess I should mention the gun I spoke of ........ weighs in at 14 and one half pounds..........   :laf: :laf:  That could be slowing me down some..... :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyotehunter_1

I also use the Butler Creek brand, preferring the solid covers. Years ago, I was warned to stay away from the quick shot type, those that use see through clear or yellow plastic lens. The plastic lens are not optical quality and can possibly cause sight distortion and shift in point of aim if used in the closed position while shooting. Although I've broken a few flip up covers (at the hinge) I still find they work pretty well. Like someone said buy the smallest covers that will fit your scope. If needed they can be softened in hot water to make them easier to slide onto the scope. One thing I do is leave the covers open while the gun is in overnight (or longer) storage. This keeps any moisture, that maybe trapped between the cover and scope, from etching the scope's lens. 

Good shooting...  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FOsteology

Quote from: Okanagan on June 16, 2010, 11:12:04 AM
The need for scope caps depends on where you hunt and how you hunt.  In west coast rain I have never met a hunter who did not have them.  Learning to push the button on the Butler Creek cap on the near end and flip up the far end in one move as the rifle comes up to shoulder is standard.  That motion probably does not add a tenth of a second, (and maybe adds no time at all) if you do it while you are doing something else that has to be done anyway, like shouldering the rifle. My son uses see throughs and killed a buck at 8 yards with the caps in place.  

The caps are on all of our rifles all of the time, even on dry dusty roads as well as during rain, sleet, snow and walking through wet/snowy brush etc.  The only exception is sometimes while I am on a calling stand on a dry day when it is not raining nor dripping.  As said, that is a rare exception.

I don't care for Butler Creeks but like them better than any others I've tried. 

Exactly.

And for Leupolds, I like their Alumina flip-up caps.

Tikaani

Could not write in this morning, due to getting my a$$ to work.  Now I do not have to write much since Ok said exactly what was going through my mind.  Here in Alaska, dealing with snow and rain on 2-10 day hunts, they make life a little easier on you and your weapon.  Butler Creek are not the best but they serve their purpose well.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FOsteology

'ole Larry loves him some Butler Creek caps.  :alscalls:

vvarmitr

After watching that, it makes ya wonder how those Alaska boys handle their guns?   :confused:
:laf:

FOsteology

Quote from: vvarmitr on June 17, 2010, 01:08:05 PM
After watching that, it makes ya wonder how those Alaska boys handle their guns?   :confused:
:laf:

A couple years ago there was a HUGE debate on one of the Forums regarding barrel break-in. Larry had enough, and in keeping with his fashion.... created a wonderful video on the proper procedures for breaking in a barrel. To say it was an instant hit and enormously "popular" is an understatement.  :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FOsteology on June 16, 2010, 07:35:49 PM
'ole Larry loves him some Butler Creek caps.  :alscalls:

I think I had Larry's son in school and when I called Larry about his son's "less than stellar" language at school I was told that the kid must have learned it on the playground cause they never used those words at home.  I mentioned this to Larry Jr. who said not to believe  Dad because he lies all the time.  Knowing Larry Sr.'s record and several vacations in the county jail for drunk and disorderly, fighting, etc. I tended to believe Larry Jr.

Jerry

riverboss

I never used them till last year when hunting in the rain i couldnt get a shot at a coyote .Now i put them on every thing.