• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Scope Lens Caps- Good or Bad

Started by Teamroper, June 16, 2010, 06:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyBoarSlayer

Hey,
thought I would add to the discussion, and at least give my experience with the Butler Creeks. I own several rifles, and have not yet put the caps on all my guns. I would say they have their place, but on at least several occassions, they have cost me shots at deer. Most recent in memory was a hunt at fleming wma, i was still hunting the ridge tops. It was lightly snowing, and i had the caps closed to protect the lens. I heard movement ahead in the brush, and spotted a doe milling about in the thick to the right of the lane iwas travelling. I followed her as she began to run across my line of sight, she was going to cross the road about 20 yards in front of me. I followed her with my eyes, and began shouldering my rifle as I kept my eyes on the deer. Just as she came to cross the road, I brought the scope up to bear. I can keep both eyes open when using a scope, so I just followed her motion and begin my swing with the rifle, and dont you know it the eres so handy Butler Creeks were closed, so that was one lucky deer. By  the time i realized she was obviously gone. I had totally forgot about having the scope covers on, I tell ya, that day i was cussing those scope caps. But other times in a rainy tree stand, they were great, Just keep in mind if your anticipating snap shots, and the weather doesnt call for em , leave em at home. My two cents. Thanks

Carolina Coyote

I don't like the flip-ups, I use regular lens covers when the rifle is not in use, when Transporting ect. I do carry a lens pen in my pocket when hunting in case I need it, several times it has come in handy. cc

riverboss

I like them but i wish they were alittle tougher ive broke my front one off twice this year but they are great in fowl weather.

FOsteology

I jump shoot feral hogs in tight/thick cover on creek beds. With a little practice it's not difficult to flip open the caps as you shoulder the rifle.
Thumb on right hand depresses the button on the ocular cap while the thumb on left hand flips open the cap via the tab on the objective cap.... all while simultaneously raising the rifle to shoulder to make the shot.

I like the Leupold Alumina flip-up caps. Wish something similar was available for other scopes as the Butler Creek caps can and do break with time.