• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

video compression?

Started by browning204, February 21, 2007, 03:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Does anyone know how to compress video from a digital camcorder so I can e-mail it and such??

It doesn't take much to exceed the e-mail limits and it is frustrating!

It seems like anything more than 1 minute is to large!

thanks for any help!!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

CCP

What programs do you have to compress with? Probably the easiest would be with windows movie maker. import movie to MM and then export to your computer it will give you an option on the size put in the meg you need and save.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

browning204

ya I use windows movie maker. when I save it to my comp. everything is fine BUT when I try to e-mail it they always exceed the 10mb size rule. It sucks. I was wondering if I could compress it to get it over e-mail instead of breaking it into little pieces.

thanks

FinsnFur

If your using Movie Maker
Click on "save movie" from there and it'll give you 5 different options; You want "my Computer", the top one.

The next screen ask for a name of the file and where you want to save it.

The next screen is where you pick your compression methods. Near the top you will see a link that reads "Show more choices".
Click on that and it drops in three choices;
Best Quality
Best fit
and Other Settings.

Click on Other Settings.

That opens up a drop down menu with 18 different compression methods.

You can click on each one, and then glance down in the lower right hand corner of that window and see what the estimated file size will be if you use the one you just clicked.
If you dont like it, go back up and click a different one and look down to see what it estimates at.

The two highest compression formats listed are (Video for Pocket PC 143kbps) and (Video for Broadband 150kbps)
Keep in mind that the more you compress it the more quality you lose.

You can make a real nice video completely indistinguishable in a big hurry.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

browning204

browning204

next question, if I upload a video to photobucket, and I post it on this forum. how do I make the video playable right here instead of it linking to my photobucket account???

securpro

UH!  :confused:     You could always put your camera in a vice !!!  :biggrin:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

browning204

no, that will not work securpro! :nofgr:

I wanna make my vids playable in the thread, I have seen that done before I think.

blacky

What is needed to upload video to the computer?
Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

keekee

If you use You Tube there is a button in tool bar when you make your post. Second row down second button from your left.

Gene,

I use a fire wire cable to up load video to the computer.

Brent

FinsnFur

Browning~, You can't embed videos in your posts with photobucket. Reason being I have the "allow html" turned off. Having it on makes it too easy for hackers to embed malicious code into our scripts.

I think what your talking about is the ones that members post and it shows a still of the movie, you click on it and it plays, but it actually takes you to photobucket to watch it.

But like Brent said you can use our new Utube feature to play them in a post.

See this post on how to do that Video Posting

let us know if ya need help
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

browning204

thanks guys, I figured out a way to do it. it was actually pretty simple.

blacky

I fooled around some with video but become frustrtated and gave up. I still would enjoy being able to do it so others can see.

I have a question and if the answer is to long for in here you can send them to me at blacky147@verizon.net

I have a Canon ES6500V camcorder with a S video plug in plus those for playback on a tv or through a VCR. My computer has several USB ports and a Firewire 1394 port.

What do I need to put video on my computer?

I tried one of those Dazzle things with USB ports and it worked but the quality was very poor. I would appreciate any information anyone wants to share.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

FinsnFur

You should be able to select the format your capturing your video with...capture meaning from Cam to PC....with the program your capturing with.

Also...regardless of what you select for a capture format, you'll never get the quality you would if you used a IE1394 or Firewire cable.
If your Cam doesn't have a IE1394 port, then there's a good chance it's not capable of digital video. That would be an analog camera and you'll have to continue to upload via your USB port.
There are converters that can convert your media to DV, but unless you pay big bucks, you dont gain much more then a headache and even further degraded video quality.

If the camera does have a IE1394 or Firewire port, you should use that for the best quality.
If the camera came with the port and your PC didn't, you need to buy a IE1394 Host Controller. Make sure that you have at least one PCI slot available before you go buy it  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

browning204

blacky, the original camera I bought wasn't being recognized by windows so I had to buy a fire wire IeeeeWhatever thingy and still nothing.

SO I got the next model up camera which had both fire wire and USB. The usb Didn't work and was told that even if it did it would have been wicked slow to up load. So I went back and bought the Ieeeewhatever thingy that I returned and finally got it to work through fire wire port.  I really don't think The first camera I bought was sposed to be uploaded to computer, just TV and VCR.

Well 7 trips to the electronics store and I finally got it going. 

blacky

Since I asked the question I have done some research and the instruction book for my computer says I can put video from an analog camera on my computer by using either the IEEE1394 port or the composite port which I think is USB. My camera doesn't have either of those but now I am wondering if I can use a cord from my S Video port on my camera to either the IEEE1394 or USB port on my computer.

I have Windows Movie Maker but when I open it I get a message saying it has a problem and needs to close. I also have Intervideo WinDVD which seems simple enough to use if I can get the video to my computer.

I also have movee autoproducer but have not fooled with it.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

browning204

Now I just gotta figure out how to add music into my movies..

FinsnFur

Blacky, what do the ends of your  S Video Cable look like?
I thought they did away with S video, how old is your camera?

Browning...what ever your using for an editor, has a line on the time line for video and one for audio. Mute the one that comes in with the film and import a new one as your music.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

browning204

right but I gotta import the music from somewhere and I don't have music in my computer except for Itunes.

I gotta  remember how to save from music disks to my computer again.

blacky

I bought this camera in "99" so it is an older model.

I know this isn't very good but take a look at this.

I couldn't get anything to work directly from my camera but I put my little desktop camera pointing at the screen on my Video camera.

I may have to get another camera or use a VCR to play through.
www.genesturkeycalls.com