• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Mr. JohnP

Started by coyote101, January 12, 2022, 06:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Look what I ran across. A guy who lives in Cadiz, Kentucky near LBL, has this in a building in his back yard:

A '64 Model Huey that flew in Vietnam with A/227/AHB. He has it set up as a tribute to veterans in general, and particularly to aircrews in Vietnam.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

That is AWESOME !!!

FinsnFur

Whoa!! [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Did ya get to fly it?
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on January 12, 2022, 08:00:35 PM
  Did ya get to fly it?

It's not flyable, just a really cool static display. Besides, I couldn't afford to fly it if it was, it would use a hundred gallons of jet fuel, or more, per hour.  :holdon:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

KySongDog

It must not have flown much in Vietnam.  I don't see any bullet holes.  :laf:

Awesome display.  Thanks for sharing, Pat.

coyote101

Quote from: KySongDog on January 13, 2022, 10:52:16 AM
It must not have flown much in Vietnam.  I don't see any bullet holes.  :laf:

Johnny,

It has several patched bullet holes. It was crashed in Vietnam in 1966, returned to service, and finished its life in Alaska. He got it from an aircraft graveyard in Texas.

Pat
NRA Life Member

JohnP

Flew in enough of those damn things than I care to mention.  But they did save our ass more than once.  If you ever get the opportunity to talk to that guy tell him I said thanks, and thank you for posting that bit of history.   

Did you ever fly one?

John
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

A majorly cool find!  And awesome history.  Would love to see it in person.  Thanks for posting!

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on January 13, 2022, 01:02:05 PM
Did you ever fly one?

John

John,

I have about 400 hours in Hueys, but most of my time was in OH-58's.

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I flew in alot of helos but nothing like that beautiful piece of history!

JohnP

Pat, did you know Mike Novosel?  He was assigned to SF Aviation and flew a couple of Dust-Off Evac for our team. On one such op, I told him next time we meet I hope it's at the O Club and I'll buy you a beer or two. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on January 14, 2022, 11:07:46 AM
Pat, did you know Mike Novosel?  He was assigned to SF Aviation and flew a couple of Dust-Off Evac for our team. On one such op, I told him next time we meet I hope it's at the O Club and I'll buy you a beer or two.

John,
I met both Mike Sr. and Mike Jr. They actually flew together in the same evac unit in Vietnam. Sadly, both of them are gone now. Mike Sr. was a fixture at Ft. Rucker for many years, and didn't retire till he was forced to because of his age.

Pat
NRA Life Member