• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Well...who got the biggest deer?

Started by FinsnFur, November 20, 2022, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I think most states are open now. Our gun deer opened yesterday.
Pretty crappy weather for it too. 50 mph winds and snowing.
Let's see what ya got.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

remrogers

I'll be heading to New York for a week of visiting and hunting. Will post when they are on the ground. I imagine my friend already has put a couple in the freezer.

JohnP

My daughter's Coues whitetail, 200 yards, one shot he went straight down, didn't even flinch, Winchester Mdl70FW .308.  This was my rifle for many years, gave it to her about eight years ago.

Rough score 112, need 110 for the record book.  I did not participate in her hunt as my walker/or cane just can't make it up the mountain anymore.....

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bambam

Wow, that is an awesome coues deer !!! 

Okanagan

That's monster Coues!  Great shooting also.

Our rifle deer season ended today.  The main season is the last couple of weeks in October, then we have a late buck season for four days in mid November, which just ended. Bow season will be open till nearly the end of the year. 

My deer tag went on a doe this year, and glad to get that.  Great grandson helped.

Two of my gransons got big mature blacktail bucks, and my younger son killed a fork horn yesterday.  He called in and passed on two spikes and a buck whose antlers he did not see.  With the season nearly over he tagged the fork horn he spotted while still hunting old growth timber.  My grandson, Code, his nephew, hiked in to help him pack it out. That spot way back has some BIG bucks but not this year.

bigben

tag soup for me so far.  Archery season I missed a nice little 7 pt with the recurve.  Rifle comes in on saturday.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

remrogers

JohnP,
That is a dandy buck she dropped. Tell her congratulations!

JohnP

Quote from: remrogers on November 21, 2022, 09:32:41 AMJohnP,
That is a dandy buck she dropped. Tell her congratulations!

I did and she said thanks.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Quote from: JohnP on November 20, 2022, 12:16:13 PMMy daughter's Coues whitetail, 200 yards, one shot he went straight down, didn't even flinch, Winchester Mdl70FW .308.  This was my rifle for many years, gave it to her about eight years ago.

Rough score 112, need 110 for the record book.  I did not participate in her hunt as my walker/or cane just can't make it up the mountain anymore.....

Dead Eye Mandy  :congrats:
NNNNice Coues! I always liked the grey tint to those things.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on November 20, 2022, 07:39:26 PMThat's monster Coues!  Great shooting also.

Our rifle deer season ended today.  The main season is the last couple of weeks in October, then we have a late buck season for four days in mid November, which just ended. Bow season will be open till nearly the end of the year. 

My deer tag went on a doe this year, and glad to get that.  Great grandson helped.

Two of my gransons got big mature blacktail bucks, and my younger son killed a fork horn yesterday.  He called in and passed on two spikes and a buck whose antlers he did not see.  With the season nearly over he tagged the fork horn he spotted while still hunting old growth timber.  My grandson, Code, his nephew, hiked in to help him pack it out. That spot way back has some BIG bucks but not this year.

Very nice. Good size Doe too.  :highclap:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

Quote from: bigben on November 21, 2022, 05:54:59 AMtag soup for me so far.  Archery season I missed a nice little 7 pt with the recurve.  Rifle comes in on saturday.

Saturday opener the wife and I were able to tag some really nice does.  Both will fill our freezer well.  I'm on buck patrol now rest of season.  I still have DMAP tags for some local places but not sure if I would take another doe.  A family friend would benefit from some venison in their freezer so an extra deer would be put to use.  Still have a lot of season left yet to hunt and then late flintlock comes and that's my favorite time of year. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Why wouldnt you want another doe @bigben ? Trophy hunting after the freezers are full?

I just read that when the Wis 9 day gun season ended last weekend the harvest total was 103,000.
56,000 of those were bucks.
That should keep some of those sunzabitches off the grill of my truck for a short while.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Jim,
   Ohio is currently at 87,945 (77,044 are archery/crossbow) and gun season starts today. I am really surprised that Wisconsin isn't higher than that.

bigben

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 29, 2022, 08:57:37 AMWhy wouldnt you want another doe @bigben ? Trophy hunting after the freezers are full?

Just dont want to be a gluton and take more then we will eat in a year.  I have a buck tag to use yet but probably will not fill.  I will gladly take a doe in the dmap area I have a tag for.  We have a family friend that would use it and accept it gladly. 

pitw

I've never seen so few even decent bucks let alone big ones. With the moose and elk around here cleaning a deer just seems frivolous now. :laf:   I did shoot a huge moose cow that was dry and have until Jan 20th to shoot a cow elk[good thing as they have not been coming out of their safe zone much.  Have seen 5 bull elk over on the new land 4 times[go figure]. I'm absolutely amazed at how much bigger the moose get every year :pout: .  Wife is happy cause she wanted a dead moose to replenish the freezer. :whew:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 29, 2022, 10:29:58 AMJim,
  Ohio is currently at 87,945 (77,044 are archery/crossbow) and gun season starts today. I am really surprised that Wisconsin isn't higher than that.

My Bad...your right. THAT was during gun opening weekend. Now thats it's ended the final numbers for the 9 day hunt were
98,397 Bucks
104,898 Does
------------
203,295 total

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Looks like wildlife conservation works. This is from Ohio DNR. I was around 50 years ago and can remember how excited everyone was when they saw a deer. Turkeys were another animal that was re-introduced in northwest Ohio and is now doing really good. Hunting licenses and the tax on firearms/ammunition (Pittman-Roberts act) also help pay for this. Just a reminder for anyone who thinks hunters don't support the environment.

Hunting is a longstanding tradition in Ohio, but the deer population has not always been so robust. Fifty years ago, hunters harvested 5,074 deer during the entire 1972 season, far fewer than were checked on opening day (17,193) alone this year.

Coulter

That's a one heck of a coues deer John...congrats to your daughter :yoyo: