• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

here is a few bowfishing pics.

Started by topdawg, February 26, 2008, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdawg

How many people will your boat hold and still be safe to fish
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

M.DarianBarr

my boat will fish 4 people comfortable, i have fished with  5 large large guys before, but you had to watch what you where doing. my boat is already full for this tuorney but bring you boat and ill gladly show yall around the lake, ill have a group of 4 age 9 and under on the boat with me. we just go out and have fun ill show yall where some fish are. here is some info on the tournement.
    Third Annual     

Future of Bowfishing

Youth Tournament

Rough River Lake (State Lodge Beach Pavilion)   

The Largest Youth Bowfishing Event East of the Mississippi River!!!

Hosted By

Passing on the Tradition Support Group   

This Tournament is open to all Boys & Girls, ages 15 and under.

Saturday May 10, 2008

Time: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. (CDT)

Entry Fee: $5.00 per. child 

Registration Time: 6:00 am. – 7:45 am. (State Lodge Beach Pavilion)

Each child will receive a raffle ticket to be eligible for Door Prizes drawings after weigh-in.

Donuts, Juice, and Coffee for the children and sponsor's to enjoy. FREE!!!

Note Pre-shoot meeting 7:45 am.

All participants and there sponsor must attend

Go over rules & regulations, legal area's to shoot fish, and weigh-in time and procedures.

Weigh-in Time: 1:30 pm. – 3:00 pm. (CDT)

Biggest Fish Competition (The Fish size will be judged based on overall weight.)

Soft Drinks, Hot Dogs, and Chips provided at this time. FREE!!!

BAA Certificates awarded in three divisions

Division # 1     9 and under      age group

Division # 2   10,11 and 12       age group

Division # 3   13,14 and 15       age group

Grand prize drawing, fully equipped Bow Fishing Bow in all three divisions

First, Second, and Third place BAA Certificate's will be awarded, in each division.

Biggest Carp                    Biggest Gar                  Biggest Other Rough Fish

Big Fish Champion Trophy's Will be awarded to the Children that weigh-in,

The biggest, Carp, Gar, and Other Rough Fish of all fish weighed-in. (all Divisions)

Tournament Champion Award

This Trophy is given to the child that has the heaviest combined fish weight turned in. And the Sponsor of this child will be awarded the Passing on the Tradition Outstanding Achievement Plaque.

Other Youth Activities will also be offered for the children to enjoy and participate in.

Award Presentation along with Door Prize drawing will take place after weigh-in.

Offering Today's Youth an Healthy Alternative

For more information about this Tournament,

Rough River Dam State Park Resort

Or call Mr. Dan at 270-668-9253

M.DarianBarr

my dad just bought a lot on the lake and we are in the process of building a house on it. we probably are going to pull the camper down there and camp for the weekend. let me know and yall can stay with us. this all depends on the weather.

topdawg

How is your bowfishing bows set up for the kids, as far as arrows and tips ....I would think the arrows would have to be cut down to ave a little speed for such a small darw lenght
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

M.DarianBarr

yeah i cut my boys arrows down they are muzzy quick release and just plain fiberglass shafts using a genesses bow they dont have alot of energy. the fish have to be pretty shallow.

topdawg

about the place you have at the lake ........sounds  great .......when it gets closer to time just let me know  and we will be there

M.DarianBarr

hey i got your pm but it wont let me respond to it , i have  an onida eagle set around 50lbs and a pse nova set at around 55lbs and a recurve i think its 45lbs and a browning  set at 40lbs. the onida is my main bow, its heavy but i like the way it shoots like a recurve but with more energy. hey pm me your email adress

topdawg

have you ever had a problem with shooting strait threw the fish, with bow set on 50+

M.DarianBarr

when i first started i had a old marten couger that was 60+lbs let all the way out. it would sink the arrow in the bottom of the lake. it would blow threw some fish but not every time. water takes away alot of energy. my pse hardly ever passes threw, i think its somewhere around 50 to 55lbs just guessing ive never checked it

FinsnFur

So if you had good enough cord, could you get four or five at a time, and haul em all in. :biggrin: :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

topdawg

when your arrow pass clean through them the scales will cut your line to peices  even with 200+ pound line.  i have heard a guy talking about hitting 2 fish at a time down at ky lake but he said when that hapens  the fish will roll and break the fiberglass arrow... i have never stuck 2 fish at a time so i would not no for shure but  I dont think i want to try .....the bow fishing arrow get into your wallet after you lose a few

FinsnFur

Ah c'mon man...were talking shish ka bob. That'd be some cool footage.  :laf:

:wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

M.DarianBarr

also when the arrow passes threw it makes it harder to get off. you either have to turn the arrow around and push it back through the same hole or cut and retie your line. gar are bad about cutting your line their scales are like razor edged armor. ive shot gar and hit them in the side of the head and the arrow glance off. had one do that one nite durring a tourney and we had to turn in a gar as one of our fish, luckly it knocked it out and we picked it up by hand. ive never shot 2 fish at the same time either

FinsnFur

Those gar are some nasty looky critters. I can remember the very first one I ever caught, bottom fishing for Cat's.
I thought, what in the same hell is this thing and how do i get my hook back...then I did a head to toe shiver like a dog shaking water off himself as I stared at it
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

Watch the water temps and fish the spawn if you want that double on one shot. I used to chase them at pirates cove on jonathan creek before they dozed out the trees there by the airstrip.

The spawn usually coinsides with them bringing the lakes to summer pool.

I haven't done this in years. Thanks for bringing back memories of good times with my buddies from years gone by. Jimmie

topdawg

any time you want to go jimmy just give me  a shout and we will go see if we can get on a few

M.DarianBarr

id like to learn kentucky and barkley lakes better. maybe this summer i will have more time to get down there and fish them more. kentucky lake has some monster buffalo

Jimmie in Ky

I think your odds of a big gar are pretty good on Ky lake , bufalo I am not so sure. But down in the oxbows along the western border your chances are real dang good for a big bufalo fish. Big grennel and maybe even a large gator gar .

We used to walk the banks of big turner and shoot bufalo, gar and grennel on a regular basis in the summer when the water cleared up. The bufalo would suck air at top when it got hot in july.

We used to watch water levels on the rivers as well. If the floods peaked around 48 to 50 feet we could work the fields around t fire tower at the Ballard county wildlife management area. Shot lots of big bufalo there in spring.

If you double on carp with a compound bow they will make like a needle through cloth with your line in the buck brush.  And never shoot a forty inch gar with a willow bush behind it. If not for my buddy making one hell of a shot we would have lost that one when my line parted from being cut. My shaft lodged in the willow and during the fight it cut my line in a half dozen places. Their teeth are nothing compared to that armour they wear.

I may take you up on that Top Dawg. I never worked them from these fancy boats set up for it. Heck, I may even rig me up some lights and head for the oxbows this summer. Jimmie

KySongDog

The first gar I ever hooked into was on the Green river while fishing below the dam for cats.  I will NEVER forget that experience!!   :shck:

Semp