• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

southern boys help me out here

Started by Silencer, May 13, 2008, 04:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I was watching some bbq on TV and the gentleman was cooking pig intestines.  What's the proper pronounciation ?

Chitlands ?  Chitlen ? not sure, sounded as if he was saying shitlands and I was lmao  :roflmao:

KySongDog

The name used around here is Chitlins.

I did your research for ya.  See  Chitlins

I would rather starve to death and eat my own leg before I ate that crap!   :biggrin:  Rocky Mountain oysters is as brave as I get.   :eyebrownod:

Semp

Carolina Coyote

Come on now Silencer!!( shitlands) :rolleye:  :eyebrownod:CHITLINSis the proper name, that's what they will serve at the inaugural ball when Obama goes in.  :biggrin: cc

bigben

what I find funny is people will not eat hogma but will eat sausage.  just for you southerners hogma is a german dish that you stuff a pigs stomach with potatoes fresh sausage carrots cabbage and stuffing.  people hear the pig stomach and think it is sick so then I say O so you like eating fresh sausage right?  most of the time they will say yes.  the only difference between fresh sausage and hogma is sausage is farther on down the line to the chit hole.  maybe they like eating chit? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

alscalls

Around here we call em GUTS and leave them on the ground. Then we make fresh sausage and can it........without the guts.
but I do enjoy a sausage link now an then.......so I cant complain about someone else cleaning them so I can eat them. :nono:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

Thanks for the link Semp.  The guy doing the taste test claimed they tasted like prime rib.  I'd give it go if prepared properly, I wouldnt trust anyone around my town  :nono:

coyotehunter_1

"Shitlands"... close enough !  :laf:

That reminds me of a friend from Michigan that never knew what Chitlins really were until he came south. He always thought it was what us "down south folk " called baby chickens.  :rolleye:  :laf:

I've tried stuffed chitin's once or twice but never acquired a true taste for them.   :noway: :nono:  :sad3:

Now crackling cornbread is another story... Yummmmm ! :biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Jeb

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on May 13, 2008, 07:44:07 PM

Now crackling cornbread is another story... Yummmmm ! :biggrin:

Now your talking !!!  :highclap: :highclap:
         Jeb

vvarmitr

Cracklin cornbread? Can I get that at a resturant around the LBL?  :laf:

Bopeye

Aigs and brains is more up my alley............Good EATING BABY!!!  :yoyo:

Maybe a little souse meat for lunch too.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

alscalls

Quote from: Bopeye on May 14, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Aigs and brains is more up my alley............Good EATING BABY!!!  :yoyo:

Maybe a little souse meat for lunch too.
I am with ya on the Aigs and brains I used to eat a good bit of em......But what is souse meat ?  :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Carolina Coyote

I'd give it go if prepared properly

Silencer, There is a small town in South Carolina name Salley, They have a Chitlin Strut ever year and Thousands of people from all over the country converge on the Town, I've never been but have heard that it was good, Check out www.chitlinstrut.com
I have tried them they taste like chicken! :laf: :laf:

Silencer

eggs n brains :puke:   ??    Isnt souse cow skin ?    I'd try the souse not sure about brains.

that chitlan strut sounds and looks like a good time.

bigben

I do not think souse is cow skin.  anyone eat scrapple? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Carolina Coyote

Scrapple? Heard of it but don't know what it is. cc

Bills Custom Calls

I have had eggs and brains,souse,tripe,scrapple,cracklins,krepples.We made all that stuff when I was younger
and the neighbors would all get together for a big butcher weekend
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

vvarmitr

You forgot one Bill ...... head cheese.

DirtyDog

Give me a big ole fat juicy cheeseburger with a big ole mess of steak fries and I'll settle for that.  :sneer:

Silencer

So what is Souse ? 

Is this correct ? 

SOUSE
Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

Bills Custom Calls

That sounds about right I was pretty young when all that stuff was going on,but I do remember eating
it

Pickeled heart,toung,and pigs feet also
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call