• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turkey Photo Contest!

Started by keekee, April 09, 2007, 05:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

Thought maybe you guys would enjoy a little friendly contest this spring! So, here ya go! I started this over at Pm but sense I'm not there and I am here then lets just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contest starts now. Some seasons are already in. And will run threw June 1st. That should cover all the seasons.

The contest is based on the best photo. Not the biggest bird or spurs or weight. Just on the best photo. After its all over on June 1st all the Mods and Adm will vote on the top three picture and announce the winners!

Rules...........

The bird in the picture must be killed this year, no past picture.

The person in the picture must be a regular member of Fins and Fur to win.

If you killed the bird you haft to be in the picture with your turkey.

If you hunt multiple states you can enter all your pictures in the contest. But you haft to enter them as they are harvested, and in separate posts. Not all at one time.

All photo's must be posted in this thread. This is were they will be judged.

No photo's will be entered after 12:00am June 1st.

There will be three places with prizes.

Remember its all about the pictures, back grounds, kids, sun sets or sun rises, flowers in the back ground. Just get creative!

First place...... One Kee's Custom Predator Call. (I will post a picture of the call)

Second Place.....One Hunting in the East sound CD. ( winner can pick the CD he wants off the web site )

Third place...... One Reese Turkey Tote. I will order this from Loren and have drop shipped to the winner.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eyebrownod:

Brent

Hawks Feather

Brent,

I sure am glad I read this post.  When I saw the title I thought that you were planning on having pictures taken of ME.   :shck:  I am MUCH relieved to know that it will be pictures of the Turkey birds and not me.

Great idea and I hope that I will have a picture to post.  I saw about 25 tonight as I came back into town.  The problem is they were under the tree in which eagles have build a nest.  (DNR frowns on people shooting around the eagle nest.)  Actually, you might be the person to answer a question I have.  Are eagles and turkeys good friends?  The reason I ask is that there is another eagle nest about 12 miles down river from this nest and there is a flock of turkeys there as well.  There was also a flock that hung around another eagle nest that blew down a couple of years ago.  Seems like if you see an eagle's nest you are going to see turkeys under or close to the tree.

Jerry

Bob D

Quote from: Hawks Feather on April 09, 2007, 07:38:24 PM
Brent,

.  Are eagles and turkeys good friends?  The reason I ask is that there is another eagle nest about 12 miles down river from this nest and there is a flock of turkeys there as well.  There was also a flock that hung around another eagle nest that blew down a couple of years ago.  Seems like if you see an eagle's nest you are going to see turkeys under or close to the tree.

Jerry
The eagles are doing a good job of making the turkeys think they are friendley, yeah , right ! :laf: :laf:

HaMeR

Cool!! Hope I can contribute this year to the contest!

Jerry-- Just a thought. Perhaps they use the eagles as their "eye in the sky" for danger. :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Ladobe

Does this qualify?   Only kind of turkeys we can get around here.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

studabaka

Qualifies in my book  :biggrin: Got an extra chair at that table?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

Oh ya! It sure will in my book! Thats what Im talking about! :eyebrownod:

Brent

Ladobe

You are welcome anytime Stu.

Have to disqualify myself from the turkey hunting contest though.   I'm not in the picture and the only turkey hunting around here is in the fresh meat department at a food market.    :rolleye:

Now a pigeon contest I could enter.   Took the pellet pistol to a couple of them today raiding my wild bird feeders and usually average several kills every week year-round.    :wink:
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Bopeye

It will be pretty hard to beat Ladobe's entry. That's my favorite kind of turkey..........ready to eat.  :eyebrow: :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

I absolutely love spring turkey hunting. That said, the last five days has been frustrating to say the least. Weather, wind, and very little gobbling make for an unhappy Semp.

This morning started out like the previous four, nothing. No gobbling. I know turkeys are there somewhere.  I've hunted this property for 18 years and killed more than a few.  I finally found a bird a couple of days ago but he was henned up and would not take my bait. Heard nothing since until today.

OK, here's what happened.  My hearing isn't real good anymore. So I put on a pair of Mega Ears and cranked up the volume.   I hear a faint gobble I estimate about ¾ mile east from me down toward the flooded creek which runs on the north side of the farm.   I'm pushing 60 years old and am about Bopeye's weight so I didn't run a marathon getting to the approximate area but I made it.   :biggrin:   Another gobble. This time about 150 yards down the side of the ridge. I set up and start my routine and he answers. OH YEAH! I think.   :yoyo:   My eyes are bugged out looking everywhere and my heart starts pumping.  After all these years one would think I'd have it more under control by now. Every time I get on a bird it's like the first time all over again.

He gobbles once and then goes quiet. I'm ready and looking down the barrel of my 3 ½ inch 12 ga.  A few minutes goes by and........nothing.  Then I hear him gobble down by the creek headed west. Dammit!   :madd:   I sat there thinking NOW WHAT?  I guessed I screwed up somehow or there's a hen down there that I haven't heard.

But hey, he's headed west, there's a flooded creek north of him so I figure I'll back track a ways and "head him off at the pass" so to speak.    If he won't come to a call maybe I can ambush the 'ol boy.   Got to do something.   So I get up and hustle my way back about ¼ mile keeping on the opposite side of the ridge from where I think he might be.    I know there's a bench just after you drop over the ridge so if he's still following the creek he can't see me set up.   Up till now, I have heard no more gobbling.    I get set up and then he gobbles once straight down the hill from me.   I start my love sick hen act hoping he will come up the hill so I can bust him when he tops over the bench edge.   Twenty minutes goes by sitting stone still and........nothing. 

Then, out of the corner of my right eye I see two jakes tip toeing through the leaves.   By now, I am a basket case.    I decide a bird in the hand is better than that big boy down by creek.    I pick out the bigger of the two and wait till he steps behind a tree.   I ease the gun over and, when he steps in the clear, send a load of Hevishot 5's his way.   At 30 yards, the double bearded jake drops like a sack of taters.   The other jake disappears instantly.

Kentucky allows two spring birds so I figure I still got time to get a nice gobbler. That is assuming I can find one!   :roflmao:

Here's a hero shot of yours truly.

And here's a pic of the double beard

All in alll,  I really nice day.

Thanks for looking.

Johnny

studabaka

Sweet  :congrats: :highclap: :congrats: :highclap:

Really enjoyed the story..... something about ones with happy endings  :biggrin:

Congrats!!
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

awh

My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Bob D

Way to go Semp. Now , on to that boss gobbler  :congrats:

Bopeye

Congrats to you my friend Semp........... :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

Semp,

While I am a newbie when it comes to hunting turkey, I think that one looks great.  Actually any turkey looks good to me.

Jerry

statelinerut

Got to the lease about 6am and we started on the same ridge we had called last Saturday. Got to our first place to get a response and heard a gobbler a long way off. It was on the opposite side of this ridge line about a 3/4 mile away. Tim knew exactly which ridge he was on so we took off through the hardwoods. After about a 15 minute walk, we get to about where we felt he was. We called again and he was about 100 yards away on the exact ridge Tim said he was on. He has hunted this land for 15 years, so he knows it pretty well. We set up on the bird about 50 yards from the roost and I bet he gobbled 200 times before he flew down. He was on fire. But it was not to be on this bird this morning. He flew down along with about 10 hens, and hung up and would not come in.
After lunch at about 1pm we surveyed a field that we have been seeing some birds in every afternoon, and low and behold they were there today as well. Knowing where they were and knowing we could not get that gobbler off of those hens, we decided on the ol sneak attack. There is a creek that runs beside this field just where they were heading. We get to the creek and get to about where we think they are. Tim climbs up the side of the bank to take a look see and they are about 20 yards away from where we are. He sees the tom at about 40 yards right next to the creek getting ready to cross to the other side. That is when I ease up the bank and find his head through the grass and BOOM. He hit the ground and never moved. Man was I pumped. He is not the biggest bird on our lease, but he is my first. Finally got the monkey off my back.
This makes 6 birds we have taken off our lease so far.
Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.

-- Ronald Reagan

CCP

Good job statelinerut :yoyo:

QuoteI found a Truglo sight I might try.

Semp looks like them new sites worked just fine Congrads :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

keekee

Good looking birds guys! Congrads! :eyebrownod:

Brent

msk565

way to go guys!!!!! don't you just love it.as much fun as coyotes..maybe i can get one on here soon...mike
Love the music of a beagle on a hot bunny track

RShaw

This is one of JD's birds.  I glassed this bird from the road on my way back home. He was over a half mile away and I could see he was gobbling. Plus, he was all alone. I circled around with the pickup and got in a position where I could approach without being seen. Still had over a half mile to walk and when I was about half way there , I heard him gobble. Got a little closer and hit the crow call to determine his exact postion on the ridge. The bird answered and I had him pinned. I climbed a hill in order to get on the same level as the bird and sat down. He was along a small patch of brush that bordered an open hay field. I was just over the top of the ridge where I could see into the brush and the hay field. From here when I could see the bird, I could kill him. The tom was about 65 yards from me at this time.

I gave a short series of yelps on the pocket box , he answered, and I came back at him with some very excited yelps and clucks. He double gobbled and I got the gun up. About 1 minute later he came down the ridge right along side the brush. I could tell he was a 2 year old, but I killed him anyways.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.