Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Tailgate / Re: Rat killin
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 03:17:54 PM »
 This guy has a pretty interesting YouTube channel on different kinds of rat traps :

https://m.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos
The Tailgate / Re: Hard to believe.....
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 01:13:30 PM »
Congratulations on your 45th.  :congrats:

Pat
The Tailgate / Re: Tip of the day
« Last post by bambam on Today at 12:54:56 PM »

hunting in the snow is fun, even if you don't fire a shot.
« Last post by bambam on Today at 12:53:11 PM »

congrats Rem . I'm on year 24 . About 12 of those in the ram pasture.  :innocentwhistle: :doh2:
« Last post by pitw on Today at 12:17:35 PM »
Congrats rem. :yoyo:
Just wondering if you have figured out how much of the 45 was spent in the ram pasture :shrug:.

I feel like I been married forever but it ain't actually been that long. :confused:
The Tailgate / Hard to believe.....
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 11:56:10 AM »
Wife has put up with me for 45 years. We were married in 1974 and sometimes I wonder how she has put up with me. Suppose she sometimes wonders, too. She is a great woman.
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 11:38:26 AM »
My brother worked at a dog kennel one summer when we were kids. The place was full of tunnels and infested with rats. They were very fast, and didn't like to expose themselves, but we figured out a way to shoot them. We would put a piece of dog food about four inches in front of one of the holes and sit on a bucket with a pellet rifle aimed just behind the piece of food. The rats were fast, but if you shot just as they picked up the food you got them almost every time. We killed a lot of rats that summer.

Pat 
« Last post by slagmaker on Today at 09:09:22 AM »
Another little video. Gonna have to see if I can get me some sound bites of those rats a screaming. Might bring in an animal or three

The Tailgate / Today in history 1-19
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 08:41:25 AM »
Edgar Allan Poe is born

On this day in 1809, poet, author and literary critic Edgar Allan Poe is born in Boston, Massachusetts.

By the time he was three years old, both of Poe’s parents had died, leaving him in the care of his godfather, John Allan, a wealthy tobacco merchant. After attending school in England, Poe entered the University of Virginia (UVA) in 1826. After fighting with Allan over his heavy gambling debts, he was forced to leave UVA after only eight months. Poe then served two years in the U.S. Army and won an appointment to West Point. After another falling-out, Allan cut him off completely and he got himself dismissed from the academy for rules infractions.

Dark, handsome and brooding, Poe had published three works of poetry by that time, none of which had received much attention. In 1836, while working as an editor at the Southern Literary Messenger in Richmond, Virginia, Poe married his 13-year-old cousin, Virginia Clemm. He also completed his first full-length work of fiction, Arthur Gordon Pym, published in 1838. Poe lost his job at the Messenger due to his heavy drinking, and the couple moved to Philadelphia, where Poe worked as an editor at Burton’s Gentleman’s Magazine and Graham’s Magazine. He became known for his direct and incisive criticism, as well as for dark horror stories like “The Fall of the House of Usher” and “The Tell-Tale Heart.” Also around this time, Poe began writing mystery stories, including “The Murders in the Rue Morgue” and “The Purloined Letter”–works that would earn him a reputation as the father of the modern detective story.

In 1844, the Poes moved to New York City. He scored a spectacular success the following year with his poem “The Raven.” While Poe was working to launch The Broadway Journal–which soon failed–his wife Virginia fell ill and died of tuberculosis in early 1847. His wife’s death drove Poe even deeper into alcoholism and drug abuse. After becoming involved with several women, Poe returned to Richmond in 1849 and got engaged to an old flame. Before the wedding, however, Poe died suddenly. Though circumstances are somewhat unclear, it appeared he began drinking at a party in Baltimore and disappeared, only to be found incoherent in a gutter three days later. Taken to the hospital, he died on October 7, 1849, at age 40.
« Last post by slagmaker on Today at 08:14:57 AM »
At one house we lived at there was a privacy fence that went over a drainage that always had water in it. Well at night the rats used the bottom rung on the fence as a runway over the ditch. Hours of fun with a pellet rifle and a gallon of sweet tea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10