• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.22 mag

Started by kyotebuster, January 24, 2007, 08:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyotebuster

Is this caliber enough for yotes?How about shooting a 22 mag hollow point,would that be enough bang for a yote?

TA17rem

It well kill them if they are close and the shots are well placed, but i think you would do better with a center fire instead.

securpro

I've killed out to 125yards with a 22mag and not had a problem, though some people think that its not sufficent enough for coyotes I love the mag and have killed them with it. Some places only allow rimfires to be used at certain times of the year (for example LBL) I prefer it and a well placed neck or head shot does the trick !   
Try the Remington Premier Mag w/33 grain Hornady V-MAX they'll do the job. :eyebrow:

Securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

kyotebuster

Does Marlin make good 22 mags?Thats what i want to get.Thanks :biggrin:

studabaka

I've got one and have been happy with it.

..... but I don't use it for hunting yotes....for them I use either .223, 22-250, or shot gun.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Ladobe

I use one of my 36 caliber traditional muzzle loaders shooting patched round balls for coyotes that's about the same as a 22 MAG when they starts out.   As with anything else, shot placement has to be there, and naturally I have to call em fairly close, but it takes them down.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

kyotebuster

well let me ask this.I want a gun that will take a yote down with little pelt damage.Also one that will reach on out there.So what do i need?Thanks

securpro

I have a older model that is tube fed and I like it alot better than the newer clip fed models . A friend of mine has a clip fed and has replaced the clip several times and they dont hold as many shells. I am saving up to buy a Ruger 10/22mag customized by Magnum research (Ruger has actually stoped production of the rifle but Magnum Research still has them).  Check out the DVD "The Verminators" predator or prey w/Randy Anderson & Rick Paillet where Rick uses a Ruger 10/22mag with a camera mounted to it.  pretty cool ! They are hunting out west in Nebraska and Kansas .
  The 22mag does very little damage to the hide !  Thats exactly why I use it.

securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

kyotebuster

where do they shoot them at?Head,vitals?How far are they shooting them?

securpro

Head ,chest ,neck and looks to be less than 150 yards !    good video check it out.

securpro

securpro

kiyitec

I love the .22mag   cheap to shoot, you will never shy from recoil, you shouldn't miss the action in your scope, pair it with A little revolver for up close/fun work, and if you positively HAVE to shoot that squirrel that got you busted during A set by running down the tree and across your lap . . .you might as well have dinner.
     Take A kid hunting with you- if they can punch good holes into A piece of paper the .22mag will be their best friend.
   Ammo has come a ways for it too since I started shooting it.  I use maxi mags, but I think there may be A few out there even hotter than them.
  Marlin's model 925 is about $160ish.  They have some upper end stuff too.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/982VS-cf.aspx
  A plain Jane Savage accu trigger bolt action is about $200 right or left handed.  If ,unlike me, you are blessed enough to be right handed they make some nice heavy barrel blue or SS types. They also have detachable magazines.   
http://www.savagearms.com/93f.htm  -- Mouse over MAGNUM SERIES in upper left for list.
  If you want to go bigger stick with the .223 , 22-250, .243, .204 class range.            -KT

Edited to add- man I totally missed the caliber selction topic.  Try this
http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=911.0
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

Ladobe

Quote from: kyotebuster on January 25, 2007, 06:33:37 PM
well let me ask this.I want a gun that will take a yote down with little pelt damage.Also one that will reach on out there.So what do i need?Thanks

Perfect choice for no damage to pelts and that will "reach out there" and drop them like a rock is the 17 Remington, or any of the wildcats that duplicate it (17DT, 17 Athena, etc.).   

Close second would be the 204 Ruger.   
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Ladobe on January 26, 2007, 08:53:14 AM
Quote from: kyotebuster on January 25, 2007, 06:33:37 PM

Perfect choice for no damage to pelts and that will "reach out there" and drop them like a rock is the 17 Remington, or any of the wildcats that duplicate it (17DT, 17 Athena, etc.).   

Close second would be the 204 Ruger.          :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:    another vote for the .17 rem or .204 ruger

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.