• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Game camera questions

Started by Okanagan, November 06, 2013, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The few game cameras I've had anything to do with surprised me that they have some kind of light come on when they take a pic, like a little red blink.  Plus they have the dim pink momentary glow of infrared flash.

The light blink is like a neon sign to passersby and hikers that says, "Here is something you would not have noticed if I hadn't blinked.  Come over and steal me."

Is there any camera that gives out zero light or sound that a human can detect?  What tech words describe this when I am reading a company's description of the item?  I don't think such blinks bother animals and I don't care if they detect it or not. 

Code, have you researched game cams enough to know if anybody makes such a camera and at what price?  Wing Supply has many game cams listed for under $100 but I don't understand much of the language describing them. 

KySongDog

I think what you are looking for is a camera that uses "black" light.  In other words no red blink and definitely no white flash. One that comes to mind is the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Max with no glow black leds. 

I do not own this camera so I can not vouch for it first hand.  There are other brands similar.   Just look for one that has "no glow black LEDs".

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/trophy-cam-hd-max

code

That is the same one I have. it has no flash and no blink, its kinda spendy though. You could try a moultrie.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mcg-12592
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

MI VHNTR

I've got the Moultrie cameras with the red infrared leds that have a slight glow when the picture is taken. Unless you are looking directly into the camera in the dark, it's very hard to see. The red leds do not bother game at all.
Moultrie also makes cameras with the black infrared leds that don't show up at all when a picture is taken.

I use a couple of different items as security for the cameras.  I use a CamLockbox steel box made to fit my specific cameras. This is also padlocked shut. A Master brand Python lock holds the cameras to trees. I have has no theft problems in the years that I've used them. The darn bears do like to rub up against them at times though.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Okanagan

Thanks for the good info.  Apparently more buyers are wanting a noseeum version so the makers are building them.  I phoned Wild Game and their rep told me that any of their "Lights Out" models do not emit any light, blink, flash etc. that is detectable to a human.  So now know what to look for in three companies that make them.  Knowing me, I'm gonna wait for a sale on one of the kind I want at Wing Supply!

I have been astounded that any maker would build such a device painted in camo and then put a light blink on it that invites people to find it and steal it.    :wo:  Glad that is changing. 

Okanagan

Hidden Trail Camera draws attention because it has visible light:

On a forest service trail in the North Cascades of WA State a couple of weeks ago, someone had set up a trail camera to watch the trail where it crossed a small creek on a foot bridge in a ravine.  It was about a third of a mile from the trail head.  Anyone going farther into the area would not see it but it had a continuous little red LED light that jumped out at anyone coming back toward the trailhead.

I did not notice it on my way into our hunt area but a few days later coming out in the dusk I noticed the red light, guessed what it was and pulled out my flashlight to examine it.  It was a camo colored well hidden trail camera that looked like it had been set up that day.  My son and grandson also noticed it on their own.  My last two times through I stopped on the footbridge and waved at the camera, and the others said that they did the same.  I wonder if it was set up by Forest Service to monitor the trail?  Also wondered if it was sending remote signals to monitor and view somewhere else.   

If it is Forest Service, I'll bet that they are puzzled that they have more pics of us coming out than going in.  We cut across country straight up the mountain from the trailhead one day, hunted across the mountainside way above the trail, then dropped down to walk back out to our vehicle on the trail.  It is very steep rough country.  Maybe they will think they we walked in from Canada!