• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Odyssey of a predator call from Pennsylvania to northern Canada

Started by Okanagan, October 03, 2018, 12:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

A couple of years ago or so HuntnCarve and Dave met me for lunch on a trip to visit my daughter in Pennsylvania.  HuntnCarve gave me a beautiful hand made call of a mottled blond wood, signed by him.  Out in the parking lot I tried it and loved it instantly.  Hope that I did not embarrass you two fellows.  It is mellow in the hand and mellow to to blow with an easy start of my favorite jack rabbit distress with only a slightly raspy tone that easily swells from a whimper to LOUD.  That call came along on my recent trip to the Yukon but did not come back.

My traveling partner is friends with an isolated trapper and his wife, whom I met ten years ago but had not seen since.  They used to rent cabins.  They insisted that we stay in their largest cabin and refused payment.  Wood stove but new electric low wattage lights from their generator.  We stayed three days and mostly fished, cooked, visited and helped shovel manure and do some winter prep insulating one afternoon.  The trapper and I became friends.  You know how that is when you hit it off with someone.

Our last morning his dogs were barking at something in an upper pasture where he runs a dozen Scotch Highlander cattle.  He said that it sounded like they were barking at a moose and invited me to hop on his quad to go see.  We toured his place and a river trail while he told me of moose, wolves and lynx he had seen and killed along the way.  He seemed surprised and fascinated that I have called lynx, so when we got back to the cabin I described how I set up to call lynx and demoed the sounds I make, using the call from HuntnCarve. 

I wanted to give him something of high personal value to me, so I took the call from around my neck and gave it to him.  He was so happy it was touching.

Well, I wanted to tell (or confess) to HuntnCarve what I had done with his call and that it will be calling wolves and lynx up near the Yukon border this winter.  But if I told him, knowing him, he would offer me another call.  I tried to figure out how to buy one before telling him but did not succeed, so told him anyway.  He insisted on sending me another call, which there is no doubt that I want.  Whatcha gonna do with friends like that?

Hawks Feather

I am not surprised by that at all.  That is just the type of person HuntnCarve (Dave) is.

Jerry

JohnP

That is what friends do.  I do it, Dave does it, you do it, we all do it because we are all friends here.  A great bunch of guys. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

If it wasnt a great bunch of guys I wouldnt have been a member here since 2008!

Date Registered: February 24, 2008, 04:58:54 PMLocal Time:

👍👍👍👍👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

coyote101

Great story Clyde, you gave your friend a great gift that he will no doubt treasure.  :yoyo: HuntnCarve has been incredibly generous over the years in sending gifts to the LBL hunt.  :congrats: It's not at all surprising that he would insist on replacing your call. FinsandFur members have always been a great bunch.

Pat 
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HuntnCarve

Kind of humbling.  I always said that when I make a call it will eventually find a home.  Some of them take "the long route" finding theirs.   :laf:  Dave and I were blessed to meet "Okanagan" when he was out here visiting family.  Fact of the matter, is that I've been blessed meeting several of the fellas here.  And there's a lot more I'd like to meet.  You never know what this life will bring?  If you can provide a small bit of joy to someone.  I'd call that a good day!  Be safe, and good luck hunting my friends!

HuntnCarve

Dave

Okanagan

Your hand crafted calls "find a home."  I like that and it says it well.

Thank you.  It is our pleasure to know you, and you do add pleasure to us on this site.