Previous topic - Next topic

Teamroper

Time: Sunup
Temp: 45
Wind: Slight
No. of Stands: 2
Coyotes Seen: 1
No. Shot: 1
Calls used: Lightning Jack and Bay Bee Rabbit on first stand and Brad Gainey's closed reed hand call and Carver hand call on second stand.

Notes: 1st stand- Good setup location. Setting up around the cattle was a little tricky at first but we finally got a good place for my partner and I. Unfortunately nothing came in to the call, but we debriefed each other on the way out and we already have another game plan for our next “visit” depending on the wind.

2nd stand- This parcel of land was across the road and about a ¼ mile from our first stand. We walked right up along a small creek bottom that lead back into some small grassy areas. My partner had a great view from directly in front and to the right side of him. I was positioned on a crosswind with the decoy almost directly in front of me and the wind was blowing slightly from right to left.

When I went to sit down I noticed that my partner had spotted some coyote tracks in the mud next to the creek bed and we knew that they were fresh. I saw the same set as I crossed the same creek bed about 50 yds. up stream. I pulled out my Brad Gainey closed reed call and went back and forth between that call and the Carver closed reed call for about 7 mins. That's when I saw the coyote come down a small trail that came in from the right top end of the grassy area. He stopped and I shot him at about 50 yds. He was an adult male that weighed in at 35.23 lbs.

2011 Season
Days Hunted: 29
Stands: 81
Seen/Shot
Coyotes: 9/5
Bobcats: 6/0
Coon: 2/0
Grey Fox: 1/0

When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

pitw

Right on :yoyo:.  Gotta love the Gainey call eh.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Frogman

WTG!  Nice write up and picture!  Good shooting!

JIm
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Carolina Coyote

Congratulations on the # 5 for the year, always good to get the shot. cc

coyote101

Congratulations, thanks for the write up.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Biscuit

Way to go!!! :congrats: Glad to see that somebody is getting to go and having some success at that.  :yoyo:

markTNhunter

shaddragger

WTG Teamroper!! Excellent write up! I will be checking into that Gainey call.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

FinsnFur

I missed this one, but I got a kick out of the specifics at the top.  :laf:

Nice job, you make it sound so easy :doh2:
Thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com