• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

1st dog of the season...

Started by Arkyyoter, September 12, 2007, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Hi guys...been over in Oklahoma, west of McAlester. Wendell Rye, Richard Thornburg and I made a few stands. We had a great time, and I finally got that dang Oklahoma dog !!

We set up on a little knoll at the head of a long draw. It was the 3rd or 4th stand of the morning, and was to be our last stand....the others were dry. Wendell was our shotgun guy, Richard was filming and I was the rifle guy. I was shooting Richard's little .204 AR from White Oak....very sweet little gun ( can't wait to get mine from LazyD...gonna be awesome). At any rate, we were using Richard's e-caller...a WT. We ended the stand with some coyote vocals and pup sounds. At about the 20 minute mark, I see a head bobbing about 35-40 yards out....the grass was very high and my visibility was not good where he was...he was headed straight at the speaker...about that time Richard hadn't seen him yet and was about to say let's give it up...I shhhhhhhhhed him and he saw the yote at the same time....on Richard's first word the yote spun and headed out...I was catching glimpses of him through the high grass, and was considering taking a running shot or barking to try to stop him, but he was looking back and kind of "stutter stepping"...I knew he was going to stop, he did at about 75-80 yards. I couldn't see much except the top of his head and a spot on his shoulder. I quickly took the shot on the shoulder. The little .204 did an excellent job. He never took a step and I was actually able to see him go down through the scope on the shot....never lost sight of him due to recoil...I like the .204. We made several firsts today...Wendell's first yote, the first yote for Richard's new little .204, and my first Oklahoma dog. We had a good time!!!

It has begun!!!! Now if it will just open up here!!!!

FinsnFur

That will work!  :yoyo:
Thanks for bringing it in  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

awh

My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

trappinjohn

:highclap:

Great job, great story. Thanks for sharing

Coulter

Very nice...I want to get out and do some hunting! Or scouting at the very least. Congrats...

Steve

keekee

Congrads Joe! How was the heat up there?

Brent

willowcreekcalls

Nice :thumb2: now you got me so i want to go hunting.............

Brad H

Great start, Joe!! I like the beard action ya got goin' too.

Brad

vvarmitr

The fur's going to pile up now ... Joe's out hunting. ;yes;

Thanks for the story & pix, & appreicate your comments on the 204.

Keep 'em coming. :biggrin:

Arkyyoter

2 more weeks guys and it is on  :biggrin:   I can't wait!!!!  :yoyo:

Joe