• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Antelope first day of the season

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, October 07, 2018, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

ThreeAM. found us on the road, again, not crane this time Antelope was the quarry this trip.

We did a few scouting trips three in fact the area we got tags for is HUGE.

We had a destination in mind and were going to be the first there, we were but barely. We hiked two miles out to a concealed pond in a large coulee. Settled in  to wait.

I was a little over dressed the forecast was for 42* and on and off rain all day. It turned out 50's clear and NO WIND.

Shooting time came then sun up, no antelope to be seen, Dang.

About 30 minutes after sun up The D-I-L sings out antelope on the horizon, yup 3 does and a buck. We made a plan and started to sneak on the band .We got stuck on a small knoll and could get no closer. Made a range reading , 428 ish to the buck. We watched for a few and decided this was it or not. The D-I-L had the choice she spotted them first , she said " I got this" She was packing her 25/06 she calls black Mamba . I short time she sent the bullet down range.

I had the 6 on t as back up , the antelope jumped straight u 4 feet then ran a semi circle dumping out his life juices 20 yards and it ran out, first one down.

A quick clean out and a scan and we spotted another small group of doe antelope. Off we go this time it was close to a half mile we got stopped on a two track road the does slammed on the brakes and looked right at us. The buck that was in tow however could care less that three hunter orange vests where glowing in the sun.

Range finder out, it said 450 to the buck sniffing around. It was my call this time, I had the 6 and was comfortable with long shots.

80 gr TTS 8108 powder at 3600 fps did it's part and the buck collapsed in it's tracks. I was kinda surprised that a very slight breeze moved my bullet 4" but the bullet crushed the front shoulder ,heart and other shoulder so all was good. As it turned out My scope mount broke at some point after the shot , till I was getting ready to put the gun away, No idea yet what the cause was.

The boy trotted back the three miles to get the cart. D-I-L and I went back to the first kill to gather up our gear and drug the first to the top of the hill. The Boy was there so fast I could not believe it.

We were on state lands and there was a few two tracks and shot grass very easy retrieval. We did run across a truck out driving the ridges of the parcel which is a Big No-No. We got the plat # and called Tip Mont and turned it in.

By time we had the cart in the truck and cleaned up a FWP truck stops and inquired if we did the call, we said yes and told where the truck was and he sped off, COOL.

Now back to work we need one more. Getting 3 in a day is a trick in it's self, but it was only noon. We checked a few spots with little action , but a Buck Just appeared on the road in front of us, what?
It trotted on to a peace of state land to our right, there was a place to park and no fence. This just can't be happening. It disappeared just over a rise and the boy was on it. Belly crawling through the wheat stubble in full sight of the road. AND the FWP truck that just stopped beside us. What a GREAT officer he was almost silent as he walked to the window of the truck. He said he would just look at one of the tags on the bucks in the back, very quietly he did and was back at the window when the boy shot. He then spoke up and said' WOW that sounded like a kill shot, it was.

He was a different officer and mainly stopped to tell us they got the truck driving on state. WELL we had a different plate number form a different truck on a different parcel and gave him that one two, off he went to go look. A fast 1/2 mile drag and we had 3 in the truck.

The boy was using his 6.5 Creedmoor and a 289 yard shot is child's play. What a trip !!!!!

The BEST FWP encounter we have EVER had too.

old is the new young

Hawks Feather

What a great story and pics to go along.  Great story and good shooting.

Thanks,

Jerry

Todd Rahm

FinsnFur

Looks like a grand day. Thanks for sharing it.
I remember in my days of tanning hides. I hated getting antelope in. They spoiled so fast, they stunk...uhg!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Great trip for sure! All that dragging and walking had me getting hot and tired.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Great story and pics.  Those are nice bucks, especially the DIL's if I am seeing right.  (Just looked again and your son's may be even bigger).

Only hunted antelope twice in my life but loved it, game in sight much of the time with plenty of glassing, approaches, stalks, etc. 

pitw

Wonderful write up.  Them lopes can sure see.
I say what I think not think what I say.

bambam

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

I would find shots that long very difficult as where I have hunted my whole life in Vermont and New Hampshire both states are over 90% forested  so I never had an opportunity for any long shots like that.  I would say my average big game shot has been anywhere from 5 to 50 yards with an occasional hundred yard shot in there.