• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Shooting Sticks or Bipod...

Started by Coulter, June 26, 2007, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Whats the preference for you guys. I usually find a sticked fork in the woods, but I am contemplating putting a bi-pod on my rifle to save the headache of finding the perfect stick.

Steve

FinsnFur

I had a bipod on my 22-250. I used it once and then I took it off and whipped it as far as I could. Actually Rick223 took it so I didnt have to whip it.

I hated it. There's no way to pick the gun up and move to the left or the right without making a big scene with a lot of movement, the legs are caught in the weeds, stuck in the snow, the ground is rocky and wobley and uneven....

I think they'd be great for out on a prairie or someone relatively uniform, but that isnt here.

I use a pair of Reubs Sniper Styx now and I love them. They adjust to almost any terrain the instant you set your gun on them. If I need to shoot to the left or right, I gently lift the rifie and the styx fall back on my knees which are less then a couple inches away...movement virtually undetected.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Mallardsr

I use sticks. I use them to hold my gun in a ready position,Rifle or shotgun it doesnt matter. Now as far as shooting ,I shoot off hand most always.  My shots are always 75 yards or less because of the way and location I hunt. RP

DirtyDog

I have a set of sticks that I really like, but I am thinking of switching to a monopod. Anyone have any thoughts on that?  :shrug:

Coulter

Hey, thanks for the info...you guys just saved me a hundred bucks or so, I will look into the sticks instead. They seem to be more versatile. I'd also be curious to see if anybody has any experience with the monopod too.

Steve

Roundman

Steve
Sticks are better than a bipod.
If another person is doing the calling a monopod works great. CCP let me use one of his at the lbl and it was every bit as good as a set of sticks.

Mike

Hawks Feather

I have both and leave the bi-pod on for groundhogs.  There really aren't many surprises with them.  Field of beans, eaten out patch, set up facing the patch.  Right now it is hog season around here.  If you don't know where they would be going it would be a different story.

Jerry

keekee

I have used Bi-pods and hated them. Like said above they maybe good for flat land but here they dont work well for me. Stix are the only way to go for me.

Brent

KySongDog

I made a Bi-Fur-Pod (shooting sticks) that are described on Varmint Al's site.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Total cost was about $7.00 and they work great. 

Semp

CCP

Look at some of the mono pods They work the best for me. You can turn any way you want without having to move the base. I used sticks for years and never really liked them for anything other than flat wide open ground.

When I would have a coyote charge in suddenly at close range to my extreme right or left. I would have to drop the sticks or pick them up to move that far.

The mono pod allows me to just turn any direction naturally.

QuoteCCP let me use one of his at the lbl and it was every bit as good as a set of sticks.

I was wondering where my mono pod went :laf:

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Arkyyoter

I use the extra tall Harris, swivel/pivot model, on all my rifles.....I started out with sticks....used several different styles....hated carrying them and setting them up.....'course I had been using Harris bipods for 20 years or so before that, so I guess I am just partial to 'em...

To me they have a short-coming or two, but far outclass the sticks for convenience/accuracy...

Just my .02 and I seem to be in the minority on this one  :shck:  :confused:

Joe

bowjunkie

:laf: Joe yer not the only one I use a bipod most of the time although I do use stix as well .. they both have there place

iahntr

Mono pod gets my vote, when I use anything. It just feels like I get the most freedom of movement. Awhile back I found a set of adjustable ski poles on sale for a few bucks somewhere. I replaced the handles with a V shaped piece, painted em camo, and there ya go, two mono pods.   ( I know,  :hahaha: tight wad, right  :biggrin: )
Scott

Silvertip

I have a Harris bipod i use for open country. I made a set of sticks, 5/8" hardwood dowels 4 foot long held together with 2 ball/loop bungies, that i prefer for most eastern hunting.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

THO Game Calls

Use a shot gun, call them in close and leave the accessories at home  :nono:

I'm with CCP.   I like a mono pod, but I use sticks quite a bit when I am by myself calling.  It helps keep the gun up.

i tried the bipods, have a couple different kinds, one a Caldwell that piviots and swivels.   Sittng height,.   Waste of money for me.

Right now I am working on a walking stick that has an adjustable bracket on it that you use like a monopod.   Seems to work well at the range, and we will see what the real world tells us this fall.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

weedwalker

Wal-Mart has a good Mono pod for $10. Brand name is Allen. It's not quite as steady as my sticks, but works OK. I still use my sticks most of the time.

Jimmie in Ky

I come pre- equipped with a knee  :biggrin: Jimmie

Coulter

Now this has been a very useful thread, thank you everybody. I think I will try making a pair of sticks first and see how that works out, I can progress from there. It really seems to be a matter of preference, and Arky you seem to be standing out as an oddball :wo: I won't count out the bi-pod just yet, but I will work my way up to it. If I do get one and it doesn't work on my new toy, I have a .223 that it would work nicely on for chucks :eyebrow:

Steve

awh

Me and the lil-man used sticks till this past season. I got the Allen mono-pod weedwalker was talking about and love it. Lil-man still uses the sticks as they give him a better support for now. Bi-pods are only used for ground hogs and since the sticks, they are used to collect dust.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

possumal

I never could see any sense in the units you mount on your rifle for the same reasons others have posted. They just don't work in this part of the country. I have made several kinds of shooting sticks, all worked, from the simplest to the most complex, but none could compare to the Stoney Point product.  I use the longer model, which allows you to sit up on a fallen tree or stump and have the length to have a steady rest. They even offer a stabilizer leg to convert it into a tripod which gives you total stability with the option to pivot the entire set up on the pivot leg.  The rubber padded yoke keeps your rifle from slipping, but does not prevent you from panning at nearly any normal shooting angle that presents itself. Light and stable, fool proof operation for over 8 years with one set. I keep my sticks adjusted to the right length for kneeling down shooting, with a good rubber band around the two legs at the very bottom, making it function like a monopod, but the rubber band will easily break if you are in a hurry to change to the bipod setup.  Each leg independently adjustable makes it easy to make a level setup on any terrain.  A simple carring strap made of your choice of materials makes it convenient to carry with quick access. Mine is made of parachute rope and works fine. Great product worth the money.
      As far as a multi use product goes, MTM makes a combination walking cane, with an adjustable gun rest that effortessly slides up and down the shaft and locks in place at your chosen height.  The shaft is pointed on the lower end, making it easy to stabilize you when walking steep hills or to make a solid shooting setup.  It is constructed out of virtually indestructible material, flat black, and only costs around $20.00. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff