• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Dispatching caught animals

Started by awh, July 18, 2007, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

How do you do it? Different methods for different animals? Different methods for the type of trap/snare used? (If the trap or snare has not already dispatched them)

Anyone live trapping for sale to the pens? (I'm really interested in this one.... :eyebrow:)

My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

The coons that I trapped this year I shot in the head with a .22 CB round.  Quick, quiet, and no damage.  I was selling them to a fur buyer that said he would give me top price for any I got because they only had one small hole in the head and weren't chewed by the hounds.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Brent and I talked about this on the phone a little bit this morning too for some reason.

I worked in a lumber yard when I was 15. They developed a Ferrel cat problem, so I gathered a bunch of box traps from my brother and riddled the place with em.

When I was done setting em I went out back and layed the garden hose in a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off.  :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Traditionally my primary methods were drowning, crushing the diaphram, or 22 to head........ In my most recent recertification class for wildlife damage control they did not include drowning or crushing diaphrams in the list of ways they recognized as being 'humane'........ seemed like their most preferred method was co2 chamber.

I haven't gotten around to making / investing in a co2 rig, so I improvise with an extra look over my shoulder  :shck: If I'm in an area where folks can watch me, I typically cage the animal and load in my truck.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Wouldn't a nice Sheridan be classified as a Co2 chamber?  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

canine

For fox and coyotes I hog catch them and shoot them with a 22 in the ear (very quick and less bloody). I also do the shooting a ways away from my set area as to not leave any blood.

JD

RShaw

Fox...nose-knocked
Coyotes and coons....22 short to the head
Cats....hog catcher cinched tight

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

keekee

For control trapping in town or around people. I never dispatch the animal on site unless I have no other option. I use a cough pole and put them in a cage. Take them home and they get a 22 short in the ear.

For skunks, a white sheet and a drum of water. I set the drum up at the time I make my sets or I put a 35 gal drum in the back of my truck, it has the top cut out and a hedged plywood lid. Squirrels also get the 55 gal drum.

On the trap line, Fox, Coyotes, skunks, coons, get a 22 short to the ear. I use the pole and take them off the set. Except the Skunks they get the 22 from a distance.

Water traps I try and drown everything. If by chance they don't drown then I have the pole to make sure they do.

It is not legal here for me to live trap and sell.

Brent

canine

AWH, If it is legal to live trap and sell live, no question, do it. I used to years ago when it was legal in Ohio and loved every minute of it, plus made a whole lot more money.

If you need any help on what all you'd need to sell live (fox and coyote) I'll PM you my number or you could PM me yours, it would be a lot of typing.

JD

awh

My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

bigben

so far to kill coons fox and grinners on land the get a pop in the noggin with a trappers trowel and then I roll them over and pop em a few times in the throat with the blade vertical.  this severs the spine and supposedly kills humanely.  I would not want anyone to witness it because as soon as you get three good pops to the throat in they are flailing around a good bit.  I then touch the eye with the end of the trowel and if it does not blink they are dead.  so far this is the quickest way and the least messy no blood and no sound.  and I normally go check the rest of the sets until the critter quits his floppin.  also I have never had one still be alive after doing this instead of the traditional bop to the noggin and stomp behind the shoulder. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

psycho

I prefer a small cal. to the head..

I have used a 22lr and 25cal in the past. They leave a small hole and thats pretty much it.

I dont have the heart to beat with a log or drown an animal..

Bopeye

I was talking to a guy today that was cage trapping coons. He said when he stuck his .22 pistol's barrel in there they would bite it. At that point he pulled the trigger............ :wink:

To know this guy........who knows, but it was fun listening to him.. :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

bushmaster

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

FinsnFur

That's gotta be hard on the traps, if the bullet exits  :confused:
Why would you even try it.

I'm not a trapper.....but I am from a long line of trappers here in the family, and I was always taught leave no blood in or on - what or where you plan your next catch.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Drifter

Coon are head shot with a 22 LRHP in the head tween the eyes and a tad high had a bad experiance with CCI CB caps never again . Yotes get a shot thru the lungs a lot less messy and quick . Just how i prefer .

Drifter

frshwtr

used cb caps for many years, every now and then i needed more than one shot to kill a coon, after haveing some growel while i was picking them up i started pinning them down with my foot on their head and feeling for a heart beat. kept useing them because i liked the low noise level. then i caught a coyote, hit him twice in the head and all he did was shake like a bee stung him, then he started danceing, emtied the pistol didnt hit a thing (guess i was excited0 re-loaded settled down and next time i hit him was in the eye (dumb luck) steeped in close and put one thru his ear. yepper only long rifle standard vel. in the pistol now. my trapping partner at the time had the skull cleaned and use it as oart of the hunter education course, only one defority in the skull was a chip along side the jaw hinge.

Drifter

Shot that coon in the head 3 times with CBs . Tossed him into the back of my ramcharger and headed out . Had a semi on my tail quick and deep ditches on both sides with oncoming traffic . Looked into mirror saw a movement . It was that dang coon staggering up towards me !!!!

Ever tried to load a pistol going 60 MPH and watch a coon coming towards you with a semi right on your bumper ? I did get it loaded and shot him ( not advisable inside a truck ) but figured was better then getting bit by a mad coon .

I now check for reflex with a poke to the eye to make sure and am in a pick up now too so they have no direct access to my hide . If they blink they get shot again . Figure can sew their hide better then can my own  :shck:

Drifter

RShaw

I went the CB route for a total of 3 shots. Had a coyote in a trap and wanted to try the caps.  I was using a revolver and shot the coyote facing me. He just shook his head and got mean. Shot again with the same results. Decided I needed to get closer and moved in for the final shot. Coyote lunged forward and grabbed the gun around the barrel with the muzzle down his throat. I pulled the trigger as I jerked back on the gun. Guess that was close enough because the coyote died. However his teeth cut a nice groove down the side of the barrel and removed half of the front sight.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

FinsnFur

Randy  :confused: Tell me that story is bogus  :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers