• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Owl Encounter

Started by bushmaster, October 17, 2009, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

I was hunting for yotes this evening and as i entered the woods i heard some deer walking around ahead of me.  I took a knee to see what was ahead and saw an owl flying toward me.  He passed by and i continued to watch for the deer.  Suddenly, i saw wings flap around either side of my peripheral vision and felt claws come through my boonie hat.  I didn't flinch as i realized that AN OWL WAS PERCHED ON TOP OF MY HEAD!!!!!! :shock2:  I moved my eyes to my left to see my huntin buddies eyebrows above his hairline and his jaw on the ground.  The owl must have sat there for close to a minute before hopping to a branch.  I looked at him and he at me for a good while before he flew away.  My buddy walked over and said "No one is going to believe this one."

Didn't see any yotes. but when i went to my parents house, my sister informed me that a huge coyote ran across the pasture and into the thicket at her horses farm.  I have been granted permission by the owner who said that it looked like a wolf and was the biggest coyote he'd ever seen.  He said that i would need a "high-power rifle to take down this dog"  I chuckled and told him that i think i've got something that will work. (.338) :innocentwhistle:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Bopeye

Holy Owl Turds!!! I've had a hawk come close to me, but nothing like that. That's funny as heck.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

HaMeR

That's purdy cool!! I've had hawks on a couple occasions attack my crow decoys.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Hve you ever noticed that when someone see's a coyote that doesnt normally hunt them, it's the hugest coyote they ever seen? :laf:

I mean seriously, there's some coyotes out there that could down a moose, solo.  :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

Me and Nick have had some close encounters with Owls.... :laf: :laf: But not on the head yet... :laf: :laf:
Sounds like a good time...... :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

I don't think I would have been staying very still if the owl landed on my head.  There would have been arms and legs flailing all over the woods.

Jerry

bushmaster

I thought that if i moved then the talons would do what they do best.  So i just sat there and waited to see what he would do.  I will certainly never forget this.  As for the 200lb coyote, his days are numbered.  I will start a new thread in predator hunting about planning the takedown.

CCP

Had several encounters through the years but never had one light on my head.

Here isa hawk that lit on the haybale behind us and it scared the fire out of me. If he had lit on my head I would have had to change my pants.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Yotehntr

:laf:  :laf: That's too cool, I've had hawks and owls come close ... 20' or so that is, I did have a sparrow land on my gun while it was on some shooting sticks once. I jumped so hard I think I ripped a leg off of him!  :laf:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Bopeye

Quote from: CCP on October 18, 2009, 12:41:02 PM

Had several encounters through the years but never had one light on my head.

Here isa hawk that lit on the haybale behind us and it scared the fire out of me. If he had lit on my head I would have had to change my pants.

That's funny!! Wish I could've seen your face.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

I had an owl land in the same tree I was bow hunting in once.  Only 3 or 4 feet away.  If he had landed on my head I think I'd still be hanging by my safety belt from the tree.   :nono:  He didn't hang around long.   :nono:

bushmaster

I'm tellin ya, if i got this on camera i'd be famous by now.