• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Three salmon in five minutes in the middle of 5 hours of boredom.

Started by Okanagan, July 26, 2023, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My cousin invited me to fish with him last evening and we brought home four salmon from 9-13 lbs.  My son joined us after his work, and we picked him up at the closest dock to where we were fishing.

After two hours of the deadest salmon fishing of the year, with no fish and almost no schools of bait-fish on the sonar, I hooked a good fish.  He took my jig on the drop and swam up toward the boat so that my line simply went slack rather than being jerked or pulled.  I reeled like crazy to catch up with him, finally did and he suddenly slammed into a deep dive, ripping line off of the reel before I even set the hook.  Way into a long, hard run, peeling out line against the drag, suddenly he came off.  Bummer.

After another hour of nothing suddenly my cousin hooked a good fish, and within a minute, my son hooked one, so that we had two salmon on at once.  I got the first salmon in the net and I went back to fishing while my son played his salmon.  Hoping to hook a salmon that might be chasing my son's hooked fish, I dropped the jig to 20 feet (in water 50 feet deep) and a salmon slammed it immediately.  So again we had two salmon on at the same time, and we landed both of them, both legal keepers.

In the next three hours after that my son landed a wild fish (with unclipped fin) which we had to release by law, and my cousin landed another keeper (with clipped fin, indicating that it is a hatchery raised fish).

Beautiful evening with clouds over the Olympic Range of mountain beside us, but none of my pictures turned out.  My son had fished with the cousin the evening before and they caught much larger fish, high teens and 20 lbs. but last evening all of the fish were smaller. 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Okanagan

Well, this ain't my salmon, but is from a couple of evenings ago.  I knew my cousin was fishing so I texted him and asked if they were catching fish.  He sent this photo in reply, and the text said "5 minutes ago."

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com