• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Adirondack Trapline Report...

Started by Coulter, December 03, 2011, 03:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

All packed up and ready to hit the road. Yes, this was waaaay overkill. There are a few things that will be left behind next time and couple things that will definitely be added.

The road to camp. Not much snow to speak of when I arrived. Just a dusting on the roads. I was soon to wish I had more snow for tracking purposes.

After I got camp all set up, I had to run back into town to grab a truckload of firewood. I figured this would be easier to do than to spend my trapping time searching the woods for firewood.

But alas, my plan only partially worked. The guy I bought firewood from gave me some rather large chunks of wood that wouldn't fit into my stove. Of course, I left my maul at home. So I had to burn the smaller stuff the first couple days then run back into town again to buy another maul.

So it really wasn't all fun and games while I was up in the North Woods, it was actually like work. But man that is the kind of work I like. I really enjoy splitting wood and don't get to do it much anymore. Each day I purposely arrived back at camp to split enough wood for the evening, and then some. If I didn't have a fire I didn't eat. And it would get mighty cold too. The coldest temp was on my second to last day when it dipped down to 16 degrees. It was likely colder than that in the middle of the night. That was the temp around 07:00.

Here are some pics from inside the trapper camp...

I don't even make my bed at home. Here's a dandy looking trout stream down the mountain from camp that I may have to check out come spring.

One of my first marten/fisher sets...I thought it looked pretty good, but I think it may need some modifying after setting some more of them.

As I mentioned earlier, I was wishing I had more snow. I was literally setting blind not knowing if there were any marten or fisher in the area or not. I couldn't find any positive sign of either of them, the habitat seemed to be right on though. This is an old road that goes way up a mountain. I was up quite a ways and ran into a huge mucky puddle in the middle of the road and had to back my down a 1/2 mile or better to the last turn around spot big enough for my truck.

~ CONTINUED ~

Coulter

This looks like a dandy spot for a beaver set...there is a decent size lodge on the left at the end of this run.

Sure enough...my first bit of Adirondack fur!! About a 35 - 40 pounder...

Thought I'd try my hand at using a 280 for beaver. This spot was just screaming to have a trap placed in it.

And a little more ADK fur...My first beaver in a 280

Here's an old shack I found in the middle of nowhere. Sure would have been nice to be able to utilize this.

Took a road trip an hour away after checking the days sets. I guess you could say I was prospecting for fur in other areas. Again, it was difficult to do with no snow...

This is an old "Ghost town" at the end of the road in the High Peaks Region of NY. It was actually once Tahawus, NY - Pretty neat.

The upper reaches of the Hudson River...It actually begins at Lake Tear of the Clouds. I Think that is Cheney Cobble on the left and Rist Mountain on the right in the background - part of the North River Range.

Due to the lack of snow I decided to cut my trip short by four days and only stay for 6. I really didn't feel good about not catching much fur and not spending time with the family on Thanksgiving. If I was catching some fur I would have stayed longer, but figured I should be home with the family since I wasn't having much luck with snow or critters. I decided I had enough of the freeze dried food and drove 20 miles back into town just so I could get some real food. (Best stromboli I ever ate). While I was there I called the wife and told her I'd be home for Thanksgiving and explained why. She was happy to hear that news, yet disappointed for me. Anyway, the day comes to pack things up and pull all of the traps and this is what I wake up to.

Go figure...

All in all it was an excellent trip and I will most certainly do it again. I'm looking forward to next year already and plan to do much more scouting beforehand. While I was there I talked with the Ranger in charge of the area and he gave me some good info on where I might find some bobcats. So, bottom line...not much fur to speak of. Was the trip a success? YOU BET! It wasn't about stacking up piles and piles of fur. It was about the wilderness experience...no cell phones (unless you drive 20 miles back to town), no computers, no hustle and bustle, just me and the trapline in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for taking the time to read my report.

Steve

Todd Rahm

Now that's a trapping expedition for sure, and quite the set up you have there.

Hidehunter

Absolutly awesome!!  We took our horses and wagon and went and stayed in the Cranberry Backcountry here at home last week.  I love getting away like that.
Denver                                           

coyote101

Thanks for sharing Steve, looks like a great time. :biggrin: That is a nice setup you have there. I really like the old school trappers basket. :yoyo: It looks like you have three table tops with you, is that just extra workspace?.  :confused:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

That would be a blast.
Did you go alone?

That old abandoned town would have really peaked my interest.
Thanks for sharing this.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Very cool! Thanks a lot for takin the time
to take us with !  :highclap: :highclap:
Scott

Coulter

Thanks guys...That is a brand spanking new setup Todd. I started with the tent in the spring and picked up the stove over the summer. I may add a fly to it next season...possibly. Of course I took a LOT of stuff I didn't need, but it was my first time trying to pull something like this off.

NastyGunz...it was a crapload of fun. Time has absolutely no meaning up there. Until you have to chop some wood for supper that is.

HH...horses would make a nice addition, not so sure the wife would approve of that just yet.

Pat...Gotta go old school on the packbasket. Theres a company in the Adirondacks that makes them too, but they are pricey. We're talking a couple bills for one. Someday I will break down and get one though. The table tops are actually beaver boards. I brought them along to put up fur that I caught. Unfortunately, the fur went right to the cooler after skinning. I brought a Coleman lantern along to do the fleshing / stretching chores. But discovered it had a leak so I never got to use it. I suppose I should have checked equipment like that before leaving. :doh2:

Jimbo...yep, I went solo. There was a guy from Washington state that was going to fly over and go with me but his mother developed health issues and he had to back out. I wasn't about to cancel, so I went solo. I may try to find a partner next year so I don't have to talk to myself so much. You game?

My pleasure Scott...

Steve

FinsnFur

Quote from: Coulter on December 03, 2011, 08:16:38 PM
Jimbo...yep, I went solo.  I may try to find a partner next year so I don't have to talk to myself so much. You game?
Steve

Oh hell yea I'd be game. But I'm thinking I would get stuck putting fur up. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Found some more info on that little town. That really peaks my interest.
http://stuofdoom.com/main/?tag=adirondacks
I think you would have had to leave me there to explore while you went on to run your line Steve.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Looks like a darn fine week of trapping & milling about Steve!! I'm glad you got to make it out & had so much fun. Too bad about the snow but looks like it was a success!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

I found these too Jim...

http://www.oboylephoto.com/mcintyre/index.htm
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ny/tahawusoradirondak.html

I especially think this is pretty cool...
QuoteRenovated building, where Theodore Roosevelt stayed when he received the message that he was elected president

I always liked Teddy...the man obviously had some good taste.

I'll get 'em next year Glenn...I'll be back a few times before next season. There are some mountains to be climbed ya know.

coyote101

If I ever get a hold of some black ash splint I am going to try to make one of those baskets.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Coulter

They are a dime a dozen at the trappers shows Pat. Its tough to find a good quality basket. Thats why I want one from the Adirondack maker. They would be interesting to make though.

Oh, and Jim...I don't want my furs all full of holes and such. You would be relegated to dish duty :innocentwhistle:

Steve

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

Thanks for sharing that Steve!
Now that is something I'd love to do & I never got into trapping.  :laf:

HaMeR

Oh I know you'll hit it hard next year Steve!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Good Luck with the local lines too!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Great story and pics!  I enjoyed reading about your trip.

Okanagan

Yep, really enjoyed your tale and the photos.   Good for you!