• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

LBL recon

Started by Mallardsr, January 01, 2007, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallardsr

Didn't really know what to call it. I didn't have time to scout. NEWS FLASH...........There are coyotes at LBL. Okay you already new that. Heres how it went. All I did was howl. Started in area 16 at Piney campground proceeded north on 206. Dry fork bay area produced the only howls. Further north area 13 near Barrow cem. produced a pack of yips. Further north @ inter-x of 206 & 210 no vocal response coyote tried to run me over. Further north @ inter-x of 206 and 205 no vocal response. Heard splashing water after second howl 3 min apart. 15 to 20 seconds later a pair busted out into the field. I got some response on Tharpe road (221) they were yips but were mysteriously cut short. :wo:  :eyebrow:  Ginger Bay road was a bust. Thats all I had time for and didnt take a gun because I knew I would be in there well after dark. Could have easily killed two just calling from the road with a centerfire. Could have! Would not! Did not! Well thats about it. You should get a response to your howls . Just dont expect it to always be vocal. All responses mentioned came within 5 mins.    RP

FinsnFur

You talk about that place like you know it.  :laf:

I'm reading some of those locations and going  :confused:

:wo:     :holdon:  Ok...I'm hunting with Mallardsr

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

From what you say I hit one right on the head. Question is how close did I come with the others. I am kind of surprised Ginger bay road was a bust. And it also sounds like less than half of what should have been in those areas responded vocally.

I thought this evening would have been good. Winds had died here at the house by sundown and it was fairly calm, they should have been more vocal than that.

At least we know there are coyotes up there somewhere, eh :wink:

That is pretty close to the same route Chet and Bopeye took all those years ago when they came up for a scouting trip.  Jimmie

Bopeye

Sounds to me like it's pretty close to the same route Bopeye and Chet are gonna take again........... :eyebrownod: :eyebrow:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Mallardsr

I didn't have time to fully explain last night. I started about 3 PM. The wind was up a little but didn't seem to matter (5 - 10 mph). By 4:30 it was dead calm. Tharpe road I howled after dark also Ginger bay road. On the way out headed south on the trace I stopped at the bison pull in area. I did get a response (yipping). Best guess is they were in the north west corner from the parking area. Might could use the North/South road to access that area.  RP

Jimmie in Ky

You can chalk up another group . Wasn't close enough for positive location of them since I was hunting across the lake with Zapper. But they shore did chime in on my last setup this evening. Jimmie

DirtyDog

Any one planning on getting out this weekend to some scouting? I would not mind tagging along if so.  :eyebrow:

Jimmie in Ky

Checked my map on the bison range group. I scouted that group with CCP several years ago.  If I get a chance I will hit them and see if they tell me where.

After talking with Reggie this afternoon we came to a couple of conclusions based on what we know of the area and hunter pressure it receives. Most animals are where we believe them to be . Numbers are definately down from what they were two years ago. There are a few very large groups out there but they are scattered. Most groups are limited to the alpha pair , the nursemaid and one or two pups.

However , locating them for absolute certain is going to be tough. Not all groups are vocal for some reason. We have an idea why but no positive proof of it. But we believe it is hunter pressure due to reactions we are getting from the animals themselves. We'll just say strange things are happening and leave it at that until the hunt. I hope to see you all there in February.

I will be editing the information in my other post's. Jimmie

Bopeye

:confused: Strange things going on.......... :wo: ............it's perfect. I'm the man for the job.......I'm kinda strange myself.....just hoping them coyotes want to meet me...... :wink:

coyotehunter_1

QuoteHowever , locating them for absolute certain is going to be tough. Not all groups are vocal for some reason. We have an idea why but no positive proof of it. But we believe it is hunter pressure due to reactions we are getting from the animals themselves. We'll just say strange things are happening and leave it at that until the hunt. I hope to see you all there in February.

Jimmie,
How cold has the weather been @ LBL?

Around the house, both of my "local" groups were very vocal in Nov. and early Dec. but for the past week or so they've been tight mouthed. I could be wrong but I feel it's due more to our warmer than normal weather here than to hunting pressure.

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmie in Ky

Temps have not seemed to be the problem up there. These animals are very vocal almost all the time. About the only thing stopping them from howling is winds over ten miles an hour .  They often howl without being provoked. It is in trying to provoke them to howl that we are having problems. I have a couple of howlers they will not answer to at all. But give them a dose of something diferent and they will respond to it,. I have had them respond ten minutes later from a diferent positon, same group.

I have heard them howl during the midday hours on several occassions. Conditions have to be right for this to happen though and that is not very often. Surprisingly the conditions for this are warm cloudy days with very light or no winds.

The howler has become the answer to the newbies prayers around here. They are using it as often as they use prey sounds, perhaps to often is my guess. Give the animals something a bit diferent and they respond just as they should. Give them normal sounds and you'd better have someone watching the back door very closely. Or they come in checking every step of the way. This is just part of the growing pains of this sport and we have to stay one step ahead of the rest . JImmie

Bopeye

I think I'll try howling anyway.......... :wink:

I have two aces in the hole.

1. I have a "Kee howler", best on earth.

2. I can blow it unlike anyone else on earth. Notice I didn't say "better" than anyone, I said "unlike anyone"...... :huh: :wo: :roflmao: :laf:

Jimmie in Ky

Thats the ace we have up our sleeves Bop!! Most of us do have that something diferent in our bags of tricks. What they can get in stores doesn't come close to matching the hatch so to speak. I built my own and am planning on building a couple of more with diferent pitches. Something a bit smaller and easier to stick in a pocket I hope. Jimmie

DirtyDog

Anyone gonna brave the rain this weekend?   :eyebrow: