• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Winchester .223 ammo recall

Started by KySongDog, April 04, 2011, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Heads up.   I know several guys here use AR's for hunting and target shooting.   

Winchester has issued a recall on some of its .223 ammo due to several catastrophic failures being reported.  Apparently the wrong powder was used in its manufacture.
I have heard of at least 4 AR's destroyed by this ammo.   The following email came from a friend of an ex-cop I know. 

"17th March 2011.

I was conducting an Instructor class in Central California last month and one of the lads attending from Vacaville PD had a major M4 weapon failure.  The round fired but it blew a hole in the left side of the receiver, it also exploded down through the magazine expanding the magazine in the magazine well.  We debated all week what could have caused the explosion as the BULLET DID FIRE but exploded out the left side and down?????  He informed me that further training at their ranges resulted in 3 more weapons to explode.  They contacted another agency in their county concerning the issue to find they had also had exactly the same major malfunctions resulting in the weapons damaged beyond repair and fortunate that no-one was injured from the malfunction.

Further investigation found the problem was Winchester Ammunition. Winchester has admitted that the wrong propellant charge was loaded into the rounds.  An immediate recall is under way."

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/News-ProductWarningandRecall.aspx

slagmaker

Dang that could ruin your day. Thanks for the heads up as i have 3 boxes of that. I will check the lot numbers when I get home tonight
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

slagmaker

Well thankfully I dont have any in the lots they stated.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.