• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Taurus Mod. PT145

Started by Kydogduster, December 27, 2006, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kydogduster

Wife gave me a Taurus PT145 for Christmas.  It would make a good concealed carry piece.  It's compact.  I haven't shot it yet and I was just wondering what kind of experience someone else had had with one of these.  I have never owner a compact 45.  Just wondering if it might shoot better in a 9mm.

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site Ky~

I dont think your comparing apples to apples. Your putting a semi against a cylinder here.

None the less, I've never owned a 45 or a revolver. But I am in love with my Ruger P89. Must be the name  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

I take that back......I didn't pay close enough attention to your post.
PT145...that's the two tone snubby model. Semi auto.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pilot teacher

My carry gun is the Taurus PT145. I selected that for my concealed carry because of the long trigger pull. The gun is cocked as the trigger is pulled all the way back. It's a good self defense weapon but not for serious target shooting. It shoots better than I can hold it of course and I do not use handloads when carrying concealed. The first two in the Magazine are Taurus 185 gr. HP pure copper. The next eight are Federal 230 Gr HP Hydra-Shok. If you are carrying for self defense, accuracy does not matter. As most, if not all self defense shots likely less than ten feet away.
For serious target shooting I use a Gold Cup National Match. I do practice with the PT45 using handloads. I think you'll
be happy with the PT145.  :eyebrownod:

Mallardsr

Quote from: pilot teacher on December 31, 2006, 11:29:02 AM
If you are carrying for self defense, accuracy does not matter.

This needs more thought !    :shrug:

pilot teacher

QuoteThis needs more thought !   
There's not much to think about. If one is taking accuracy into consideration, you will not have time to aim line up the sights and squeeze. The action will take place very close, NOT 50 yards away. you point and shoot at the body mass. If you think you are going to aim and shoot the thug will have already clubbed you down or buried a knife in your chest. You cannot "AIM" when the time you have is measured in very few to no seconds. Your entire body will be trembling and you want to aim??? That's why I carry no less than a .45. If he's shot in the leg, arm or torso he's going down. In fact he should be doubled tapped. Think about it when you are at an ATM or crossing a Walmart parking lot at night where some thug can jump you from behind a parked car.
"ACCURACY DOES NOT COUNT." You are not defending yourself against a PD 300 yards away.

slagmaker

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 27, 2006, 08:25:14 PM
Welcome to the site Ky~

I dont think your comparing apples to apples. Your putting a semi against a cylinder here.

None the less, I've never owned a 45 or a revolver. But I am in love with my Ruger P89. Must be the name  :wink:

I have a Ruger P89 and I find it one of the least accurate firearms I own. NOT that this one firearm is a representive of all the other P89s out there but I rarley carry mine due to the inaccuracy of it. NOW on the other hand I do very much like my P90. Very accurate 45ACP and solid in my hand. I have a friend that has a Taurus PT145 and he seems to like his very much. I have perosnaly never fired it but I know for a fact he would never carry something that he would not feel comfortable intrusting his life or his familys safety with.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

browning204

I just bought my Girlfriend a Taurus p111 pro-9 my options were a .40 cal and a .9mm

I went with the 9mm because it would be a little less jumpy for her to shoot.

It will be her carry gun and it will carry real nice, it is slim and light, I carried it once and almost forgot I had it on.

Accuracy isn't real important in a carry gun but, I believe that it still should be shot enough so the user can un-holster it and

get it on target and discharge it as comfortable as possible.

If a person ones a gun that they find is jumpy or is not real comfortable with, they should probably not use it as a

defense gun.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

KySongDog

Quote from: pilot teacher on January 24, 2007, 06:20:00 PM
"ACCURACY DOES NOT COUNT."

I know lots of guys who shoot IDPA and they would disagree with you.  Shot placement counts.  One in the chest beats one in the leg anyday.

pilot teacher

QuoteI know lots of guys who shoot IDPA and they would disagree with you.  Shot placement counts.  One in the chest beats one in the leg anyday.

I think most of you are missing the point.
#1. You are not shooting in a pistol match. You are shooting to DEFEND yourself, not putting ten shots into the 10 ring.
Accuracy does not count. How accurate does your self defense firarm need to be? If you can't put a shot into a 15 inch circle 5 feet away NO GUN will help you. I don't care how "accurate" you think it should be.

#2 Of course a shot in the chest is the best but if a thug is coming at you, AND you manage to get your weapon out, AND your best shot is in the leg, then you want at least a .45.

#3. If the thug is the size of a Buccanner 250 pound line backer, you will only tickle him.

#4. If the thug is a little guy and high on drugs or alcohol, do you want to chance YOUR life or that of a loved one on a less powerful weapon? I saw a police video some while ago where some punk on drugs shot at police. He walked away after being hit in the torso with nine 9mm slugs and didn't even flinch.
Doesn't that remind you of the 38 Special used in the Spanish American war. THAT is why the 45 was adopted. One shot and the enemy went down. Some soldiers emptied their 38's into the body of a charging morrow only to have him bury a machete into the skull of a soldier and still did not drop.

slagmaker

I agree size of the weapon "caliber" Is important. BUT youi want a firearms that you are comfortable with. If your gona carry then you should put as much time in at teh range as possible so you can be as familiar witht he firearms as possible. Some people cant handel the larger calibers without becoming uncomfoprtabe and if you arnt comfortable shooting it then that is detrimental to accuracy and your ability to use the firearm to the best of yoru ability.

Me, I carry my 45 I shoot it oftem and I try to shoot better everytime I fire it.
I try for accuracy but I aim for control more than anything. I am not trying to get 3 shots in one hole but I do try to get 3 shots close together and in the area I want them with out slowing down too much to think about it.

whatever you choose to carry as a side arm remember the number one rule. BE COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING!!
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

cb223

When the PT145 first came out a guy at the gun club bought one. He practiced with it like you should, it went back to factory 2 times for a cracked frame! He decided it was meant to be carried alot and shot a little.
CHAD

vvarmitr

I was intending on getting the PT145 for a CCW, but decided against getting the permit. :noway:

My 2 cents on the accuracy debate comes from the late Bill Jordan in his book, NO SECOND PLACE WINNER. "Speed is fine. Accuracy is final!" :sneer: