• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Probable cougar kill near my home

Started by Okanagan, August 10, 2019, 07:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Ran into a friend downtown today who said that she wanted us to come try to call a cougar. She thinks a mountain lion killed a deer near her house.

Her neighbor was walking their shared driveway lane when a doe and fawn crossed into a strip of woods along a river bottom.  Within seconds he heard a growl, brush crashing and the doe ran back across the road alone.  Some other deer took off running wildly across the nearby highway, and a horse in a narrow pasture across the lane from the woods went nuts with fear.  The next day their dog dragged a deer leg to the house. 

“When did this happen?” I asked.
“Two weeks ago,” she said.  They have been gone on a trip and their phone and contact info for us is out of date. 

I explained that a two week old kill is all but worthless given normal cougar travel habits but will talk to my son and we might come over and do a call.  I'm not the least surprised that cougars follow the river corridor down from the mountains all the way to salt water.  Bobcats, coyotes and black tail deer are common on their place and once in awhile a black bear.  It is a built up rural area of small holdings, pasture and wood lots on a coastal plain between big mountains and the Straits of Juan de Fuca.  Across the Straits is Canada.   

The growl puzzles me, and it could be a bobcat or bear that killed a deer.  No one went into the woods to confirm a kill, etc.  All circumstantial, and I lean toward cougar due to the reaction of other deer and the horse.