• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Chokecherries

Started by pitw, September 28, 2015, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Today I got done spraying by 2pm so the wife and I got to thinking we should pick some Chokecherries for syrup and Jelly. [It got down to 23F here last night which makes these things sweeter but finish's them in a couple days]
15 minutes of picking later.

She then got them in her juicer.

How much shrink there was.

Between 2 and 3 quarts of the worlds best juice.

Then as I plan on leaving one kid home to look after a little spraying and haying while the other and I go fishing for a few days, I went out and dug a hill of spuds for the trip.

That plan only half worked as it takes a fair sized man and boy to eat

Wife will make both thick and thin syrup for pancakes and jelly for anything requiring a bit of heavenly taste.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Looks good, but is there enough sugar in the world to sweeten a chokecherry?   :shrug: :laf:

The ones I've tasted off a tree have puckered me inside out.  My son shot a bear that was eating chokecherries up in a bushy tree near our house when we lived in the Okanagan. 

Seriously, I've heard that the jelly is fabulous. 

Carolina Coyote

To my knowledge we don't have "Chokecherries" down here are they something like Wild Cherries?

pitw

Clyde I love eating these things and I ain't the only one as all scat around here is full of them. 
Carl I ain't got wild cherries here so don't know. Only thing I know about cherries is you only get to pick them once. :madd:

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on September 29, 2015, 06:57:48 AM
Only thing I know about cherries is you only get to pick them once. :madd:

You may only get to pick them once, but you can pay for them all you life.  :nono:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

It would seem with that many berries being able to be picked in 15 minutes that the critters would love it there.  Was this a good growing season for you or do you normally get potatoes that are that large?

Jerry

Okanagan

Yeah, I forgot to mention that potato.  That's huge if I am reading the scale right.   Looks tasty, too.  You are growing primo spuds.

One summer in the mid-60's I worked in a spud shed (potato processing warehouse) in WA State where the owner was inventing potato handling machinery.  Baker Beauties potatoes, still in business.  In the mid 60's he had an electric eye hooked to a narrow conveyor belt that measured the size of potatoes as they passed in single file and kicked each one off into a box with others of the same size.  It takes 50 potatoes of a size 50 to weigh 50 lbs.  It takes 30 of a size 30 to weigh 50 lbs. and 70 of a size 70 spud to weigh 50 lbs.  Baker Beauties sold the labeled 50 lb. boxes to chefs for banquets.  The chef paid for 50 lbs. of potatoes and knew exactly how many spuds were in the box, not merely the total weight.  So if they had 50 guests, he would buy a box of size 50 spuds.  So we were told anyway.

Counting spuds was a lot easier than loading box cars on the other side of the building.  My job was loading box cars, natch, befitting my intellectual capacity no doubt.  50,000 lbs. per car usually in 50 lb. sacks.

pitw

What few carrots that came through the ground this summer did well too. :confused:

squares are 3"

Hawks Feather

I think you are afraid to pull the really BIG carrots.  Probably because you remember the song 'The Eggplant that Ate Chicago' and are thinking of 'The Carrot that ate Canada'.   :biggrin:

Jerry

Dave

Damn that's some fertile ground.

pitw

That time of year to get all the spuds outta the ground for winter.

Coulter

Damn those are some big taters! And Carrots!

FOsteology

Well damn... I've been in and out (mostly out) for the past couple months and I just notice 'ol Barry is back.

Welcome back Barry!

pitw

FinsnFur

Is that a beer?? You grow beer too? In with the tators??
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I found the can in a ditch and placed it for size comparison as we've proved Southern folk have a problem with size. :alscalls:  Turns out it is a BC beer so that explains them throwing it out. :eyebrow: