• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Long ranger

Started by snafu, December 23, 2014, 08:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Most of my life I was an average to fair/middling long range shot. I reached my shooting prime in my mid 40's, some 20yrs ago. Was nary a coyote that got away. Some like them close up, I preferred long shots. As they took more skill. I'm not sure exactly what made that skill? Maybe gut instinct? But it has left me.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

Carolina Coyote

Probably Eyesight, we all start to lose it as we get older.   :laf: cc

riverboss

I love long range shooting! I found that my short neck has helped alot with shooting expecially shotgun as i dont have the tendency to raise my head off the gun, and it makes.me mount my scopes low. But as my eyes arent what the once were im starting to see a difference.

snafu

Yeah eyesight may be a part of it? The culprit might be I'm not as sharp at estimating yardage these days.

Back in my day. I was visiting a farmer in side of his house as I ask permission to hunt his rolling open land. As we stood near his large bay window. He was pointing out his land borders. Right then a pr of coyotes popped up out of his creek 400 + yards away. I asked him quickly to hunt his land...sure. I ran towards the door. He said "where you going?" I replied I'm going to kill me a coyote, watch me.

I ran out grabbed my rifle, ran around the back of his house & went prone. Knocked the lead coyote off of the high snow drifted creek bank.

I've made longer shots than that. But their just memories now. No re-winds in life.

Carolina Coyote

Great story!! I do love the long shot myself, very rewarding but like you I am beginning to see a difference in my ability. cc

FinsnFur

Weve all noticed your disability Carl. ðŸ˜,,

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 25, 2014, 09:39:40 AM
Weve all noticed your disability Carl. ðŸ˜,,

LOLLOLLOLLOL I like it when people notice.!!!  :innocentwhistle:

snafu

I've never used a range finder while target shooting or hunting. I used fence lines (when available) to give me 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 mile yardages, then estimated yardages in between. As for bullet drop estimating(hold over). I used the est height of the coyotes shoulder. As well as the height of known field objects(fence posts & cut crops).

Carolina Coyote

Estimating distance is a rare talent, and a good one for a shooter to have, don't always have time to use a rangefinder and making the long shot takes a lot of experience and hard work to attain that skill, but very gratifying. I have sent a lot of lead downrange but I don't think I will live long enough to accomplish what I would like to do. I do however enjoy trying.  :biggrin: cc