• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

HH-1-1/2 pays off...

Started by HuntnCarve, October 11, 2016, 10:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

I was admiring the view out of the back bedroom window this morning when I noticed some movement down below?  Thought it was a squirrel at first glance as it moved through the thick brush on a course for the recently commissioned "Honey Hole 1-1/2".  Playing the odds I grabbed the nearby rifle and set my sights on HH-1-1/2.  My intuition was rewarded when a big hog suddenly popped up at the driveway leading up to HH-1-1/2.  I set the crosshairs right on his ear and squeezed off a shot.  "Whoppp!"  The hog buckled and rolled onto his back.  A few twitches later the tail rose up in the death twirl.  No.7  for the year is in the books.

(View from the window) Below:

(Crumpled hog) Below:

It was a big boar, apparently attempting to make his rounds.  In looking at HH-1-1/2 the entrance was covered over with leaves and debris, and had not seen any service in a while?  Fall is in the air in these parts.  So there is not much hope for anymore tenants at any of the Honey Holes?  But we'll keep watching!
Good luck hunting!  Be safe all!

HuntnCarve
Dave

PS.  Having shot my buck for the year I am taking Jerry's (Hawkfeather's) advice and shooting hogs and turning calls... Thanks Jerry!

Post update: Looked out the door a few minutes ago and saw a hog standing in the farmers alfalfa field munching away...A 60 yard shot to the heart ended his foraging.   Sorry, no photo op on this one.  No.8

FinsnFur

:congrats: :congrats: I love it lol.... absolutely love it.
Two in one day :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Dave,

I am glad to see that you are taking care of the groundhog business and turning calls.  There isn't all that much meat on groundhogs but you could probably run it through the grinder with your venison.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Unfortunately Jerry, the venison is all ground up, packaged, and in the freezer.  You will be happy to know I did add another type of "hog" (pork) to the deer before grinding.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Now you have gone and ruined all that venison for the 'people' who are not allowed to eat pork!     :yoyo:

Jerry

Frogman

Good shooting!  Don't you leave any for seed???

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HuntnCarve

No Frogman, I take all that I see on the property.   They are just too destructive with their digging and eating. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Frogman on October 12, 2016, 10:45:18 PM
Don't you leave any for seed???
Jim

Dave lives in a groundhog rich environment that the rest of us just wish we had.  He knocks off one and another comes to take its place.

Jerry

Frogman

There used to be lots of them here in my area of WV.  We would frequently kill 30 or 40 a year hunting the farm fields.  But the numbers have taken a nose dive recently. I think the coyotes get a lot of them.  I have some behind my house.  I take one or two a summer with my air rifle, but leave the rest for seed.  No garden or anything that they can damage.  Should have a pretty good crop next summer!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!