• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

muck boots.

Started by bigben, October 27, 2009, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I have been in search of a good pair of warm waterproof boots for pretty much all summer.  This last week it came to a head.  I was heading north for the first hunting trip of the season and kinda needed em now.  I looked for the usual leather boots the last few months but a 150-200 dollar pair of boots is not too appealing to me.  There isn't nothing worse then buying the ones that claim waterproof then leak after hunting in the snow all day.  I had bought a cheap pair of Itasca chore boots last winter and they did not fit well.  I had to wear thick wool socks for warmth and there was virtually no support in the sole at all.  Think walking in moccasins all day. 
     A buddy had always wore his muck boots and liked em.  I was worried about two things.  One was comfort and the other was waterproof.  I looked at the muck boot site and found a local dealer.  I stopped in and checked em out.  They looked like a normal rubber boot.  Nothing really fancy at least at first glance.  I slipped one on and was a bit worried about the width issue I have with my feet.  As I sat there for the better part of a half hour talking to the fella about hunting and such my feet never hurt or felt cramped.  They felt snug and he assured me that they needed to be snug to fit properly.  I handed over the money for em and walked on out the door.  I got the woody max's for $110.25 which is the cheapest I have ever seen them.  Cabala's sells these for $150.00 plus tax and shipping.  and only carries them in size 13 and smaller.  I needed at least a size 14.

Here is a Pict and description from muck boots website.

Quote from: http://www.muckbootcompany.com/products/WDM-MOBU
Woody Max®
Cold-Condiditons Hunting Boot
New Mossy Oak Break-Up â€" WDM-MOBU

Made to endure prolonged cold conditions, these boots are great for hunting in unpredictable climates.

* Stretch-fit topline binding snugs calf to keep warmth in and cold out
    * Breathable Airmeshâ,,¢ and fleece lining
    * Additional achilles overlay for added protection
    * Kick rim for hands-free removal
    * EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed (internal)
    * 2mm thermal foam underlay added to the instep area for additional warmth
    * MS-1 Outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability
    * Added toe protection with a wrap-up bumper
    * CR flex-foam bootie with four-way stretch nylon, 100% waterproof, lightweight, flexible and buoyan
    * Comfort range -40° F to 60° F
    * Men’s sizes 5-15
    * Women’s sizes 6-13 (Unisex)

So the short time I have wore these boots I am impressed.  I figured with the temp rating on these boots my feet would sweat bad in temps above 50 deg.  Thursday when i got home I wore em all afternoon doing work outside the house and even though they felt warm my feet were not damp or wet from sweat which is a major problem I have.  I get warm feet easily.  But on the other hand in the colder temps the boots seem to keep my feet warm in 30 deg temps that I hunted in this weekend.  So far they are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever hunted in.  They keep my feet warm and happy and actually support my weight extremely well for the size I am.  I wore em pretty much all day Saturday from sunrise to past sunset and my feet never once hurt and were comfortable all day.  I will come back after a month or so of hunting in em to update this then with a longer term test.  From what I have seen and felt so far.  I doubt I will be dissapointed at all then.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

Ben,

Yeah!  I really like my "Muck boots".  Nice review.  I posted about them here . . .

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=4888.0

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

dang I did not see your review on them frogman  :doh2: on my part. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

Ben,

Hey!!  Just happy that you got a pair of them.  I think your long term evaluation will only increase your liking of them!  Just wish they would have had some of those "camo" ones when I bought mine?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

Yeah I wasn't sure if the camo was needed or not but I got em cheaper then the big names have em for.  The dealer stated that they need to sell them at a certian price to be a dealer.  so I would suggest going to them first before cabelas unless you have points to use up or something.

Yotehntr

Appreciate the review Ben! I've been thinking about getting a pair for the real wet days.   :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Todd Rahm

Allot of folks where them up here, and oddly enough when they are out snow machining too.

They are on my hit list of items to get thats for sure.

Silencer

I happened into a pair, my brother wore his one season, not sure why he didnt like him but he gave em to me and I love em.  The only problem I have is my wife dont like me wearing them when we go out  :biggrin:

Yotehntr

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

:shrug:  They just don't understand do they!   :laf:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

KySongDog

I've been wearing Northerner rubber boots for years and the pair I have now is probably 7-8 years old and pretty much shot.  After reading BigBen and frogman's reviews I decided to give the Woody Max boots a try.  My favorite gun store has them and so I picked them up today and haven't taken them to the field yet but will do so soon.  It was almost 75 degrees today so I might wait a little while.   :biggrin:

Palegroe

Most of my friends and I have always wore LaCrosse rubber boots and one of my friends that works at the mines had to have steal toed rubber boots for work and bought the Muck Boot with a steal toe.  He loves them and wears them almost every day here lately in Western KY. (Right now we are at the 4th wettest October in history about 8.25" this month alone.)  He is replacing his Rubber hunting boots with them as soon as he can.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

msmith

I used to love the LaCross Burlys and have had many pair of them. The last two pair I had, once your feet sweat a little, they were nigh on to impossible to pull off. I switched to the Mucks and love them. The only drawback compared to the Burlys is that it is fairly easy to poke holes in the neoprene but glue for patching waders fixes them right up.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

weedwalker

I was needing some new boots. After reading your reviews, I decided to get a pair of Muck Woody Sport boots. They have a comfort range from -20* to 70*. That pretty much covers our moderate weather range here in Kentucky. These are the most comfotable hunting boots I've ever worn. They're great !! :yoyo:

bigben

yep.  I have wore mine for hunting and quad riding here this fall and now winter and I love em.  my feet do not get cold and they stay warm. 

Hawks Feather

Ben,

So you are saying that they work pretty good in DEEP drifts of snow - like out west.    :biggrin:

Jerry

bigben

I was wearing them when we got 10" of snow the other week and my feet never got cold.  I would imagine that you would be good till 18" :sneer:

Hawks Feather

I guess I should have had an ATV rather than a snow blower.  I think I would have had more fun.

Jerry

bigben

Silencer

Still no problems with mine, I wear em all the time.  Close to purchasing a new pair now.