• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

vvarmitr's new Kanati Tek caller

Started by FinsnFur, April 03, 2010, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

vvarmitr, I'm very seriously considering picking one of these boys up with my tax return this year.

I see they running a spring sale $40 bucks off for a limited time.
What can you tell us about yours?
Which one you got?
What do you like bout it?
What do you dislike about it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

First let me explain why I got it.  I bought it as a hunting partner.  I've always enjoyed using hand calls & in some ways, like Barry, I was a purist.  As most know I work a swing shift (ya should know, I whine plenty about it ) & I don't have the same days off (i.e. weekends) as my hunting buddies, HaMeR & Bill.  I feel in the wooded hilly terrain here it is important to have a shooter down wind of the caller.  As much as they would like me to be in two places at once at work I still haven't mastered it. :sad:
My MO for a set is to give a coyote a area to come down wind of the caller under cover.  Then set up down wind of that.  :eyebrow:  Now w/ my new hunting partner I can do this.  Another plus is it doesn't pick on me so much I go home w/ my head hanging low. :sad3:
:laf:

This is the one I got w/ the decoy ....
http://www.kanatitek.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1

I don't feel I need a lot of volume w/ the terrain here.  I can't see 'em coming from a long ways off.  However, & I like this, I can add speakers. W/ these I'll get more volume & a movement scenario if I want. By adding 2 speakers you can make it sound like two 'yotes are challenging each other for example. :biggrin:   Pretty cool huh?  :eyebrow:
There are other ways to set up the caller to change things up to your advantage over E-call wisen coyotes. I'm trying to keep this post brief, but check into it they're cool. :wink:

The remote is straight forward & in my mind works in a logical process. Once you read the manual the way to use the remote makes sense. You press a button once or press & hold. It's either or. There is no tap, tap, press, hold, titty twist, or some other secret combination to get it to do what ya want.  Very user friendly to even someone as geekless as me.

The decoy is small. That can be good & bad.  I'm leaning towards good as it's not threatening & just how much movement do you need to get the coyote's attention?  It does make a tapping like noise when running. Muffled, but still there. Then again if something is moving on the ground it's going to make a noise. Right? :shrug:

It uses AA batteries ... good thing because about every electronic gizmo  does too.  I have an ox cart full of charged & needing charged batteries being pulled by a pair of oxen every time I go a field.  :eyebrownod:  Well, it ain't quite that bad. :innocentwhistle:

It is lite & small. I like that! :thumb2:

Like/dislike....... $460+  :loco:   The cheapest out there for what it does, but dangnabit, is it really worth that much?  :noway:
:wo:  Ya know I could of bought a lot of pop, chips, & jerky for Bill, HaMeR, & me w/ that amount of $.  If only they worked a descent schedule. :rolleye:
:wo: Of course I could use this to my advantage.  :eyebrow:  I could tell Coyote Kate , "look at the $ I'm saving by not buying groceries for those two moochers while we're out hunting!"  :alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

I dislike I have to buy my sounds from them.  W/ that kind of cash out lay I would surely think they could let their customer be privy to the sounds. :sarcas3:
I'm not all together sure I can down load other sounds or record my own.  I do killer hurting dog sounds. They're better than Susan Boyles' singing! They'll make a PETA person write their Congressman.  Bob Munden couldn't shoot fast enough to keep me from being over run w/ coyotes coming to the rescue.  (& you guys thought that little sawed-off runt was arrogant!:readthis:
Anyhoo, I need to check into this more.

It's not camoed, just black.  But w/ a few Sneaky Leafs super glued in strategic places  I'd havta to down load a whealaweat whistle w/ "over here dummy."  :eyebrownod:

I really need to get on the ball & quit spending time on the forums & get registered w/ 'em & get my 10 free sounds of my choice. Free?  :confused:   I guess it's all in how you look at it. :laf:

HTH Jimbo, I know it's kinda short, but I just hit the main points. V.V.

FinsnFur

:alscalls: Well, I am glad you didn't keep it short and just say, "yeah it's pretty nice".
That was what i was looking for, your entire opinion :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: vvarmitr on April 04, 2010, 11:19:15 AM
First let me explain why I got it.  I bought it as a hunting partner.  I've always enjoyed using hand calls & in some ways, like Barry, I was a purist.  ...  I feel in the wooded hilly terrain here it is important to have a shooter down wind of the caller.  As much as they would like me to be in two places at once at work I still haven't mastered it. :sad:

Precisely!

vvarminter just explained the reason for existence of an electronic remote caller:   It lets the solo hunter set up a stand with a partner!  

That's the only real value we buy with one.  The extra "partner" is huge when alone but can also help with two or more hunters.  Sound repertoires and gadgets are all peripheral accessories. :laf:   Of course, accessories and paint sell more cars than engines and drive train.

That extra partner is even more useful with cats than it is with canines, though we change the way we use wind.

pitw

Now that was what I'd call a review  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:.  [L] you got me thinking about them now and as you know that is saying a lot.  Thanks for a wonderful read.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Geeze guys, you're making me blush.

Ya don't suppose that little black box it's housed in is the same as the ones used on airplanes? Do ya?  :shrug:
:laf:

In a way it galls to have bought the thing. I sure as "L" didn't want anybody to do the calling for me.
If I had my druthers I'd be out there w/ Glen & Bill!!!!!

KySongDog

I like the battery system on that caller.  You can replace one battery instead of the whole battery pack.  Lots cheaper. 

Nice write up, VV.