• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Kayak fishing???

Started by centerfire_223, May 21, 2015, 04:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

Anyone on here fish out of a kayak? I have been doing some research and think I will get myself one. Looks like it would be a blast to fish out of and really allow you to get into some places that not very many others get to fish.

I think the one I am going to start out with is the Field and Stream Eagle Talon 12. It's pretty cheap, so  I won't have to invest a lot of money to start with. Just want to make sure I like it before I go all out.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Uh ohhh here ya go Ed :eyebrownod:
I never have but I sure consider it.  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Looks like a good rig. Been thinking about a kayak for fishing so.e of the streams and creeks around me. Just can't decide between a kayak or a inflatable pontoon rig. But the price on that talon and the weight limit has me a thinking kayak
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

weedwalker

OK Jim,
Ronnie, The Eagle Talon is a very stable kayak and not too bad for fishing. The seat leaves a little to be desired and is not too comfortable after a couple hours. Right now, the best bang for your buck on a lower end kayak is the Ascend FS12T at Bass Pro. $549. Very comfortable and will handle small streams to big lakes. A sit-on-top kayak is best for fishing. Also if you were to flip it in deep water you can get back in it fairly easy where a sit-in type you'll be swimming to shore to dump it out. Your gear, if it's not in your hand should be secured to the kayak. Expect to flip even if you never do. You don't want to loose your tackle. Get a 240cm paddle. Anything shorter will be more work for that size of kayak. You can spend anywhere from $30 to over $200 for a paddle. I use a Bending Branches Angler Scout. But the ones Wal=Mart sells for about $45 are some good tuff starter paddles that will take a beating.
If Jim dosen't mind, I have a Facebook kayak group. You can check us out and get a lot more info here, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1407107272870748/?fref=nf
I'll take that off if you want Jim.

weedwalker

Ronnie, If you do go with the Talon, which isn't a bad kayak, get a package of foam practice golf balls to put in the scupper holes. Plug the ones under the seat and put a square boat cushion under the seat. Raising yourself up 3"-4" makes a big difference in comfort.
One of my sons has the Eagle Talon.

weedwalker

weedwalker

Slag, The biggest diference between a kayak and an inflateable pontoon is portability. If you can't haul a kayak on top of your car or in a truck or trailer, a pontoon can be used. But the kayak will cover a lot more water much faster and do better going over shallow rocky shoals in the creeks.

FinsnFur

I dont mind the link Ed, but I dont appreciate the pictures of the big ole smallmouth bass. :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The creeks around here go from mud to rock bottoms and logs and other debris in the water make me lean more towards the tougher canoes or kayaks

centerfire_223

I sort of figure the first upgrade would be the seat, since they do look a little shabby as far as comfort. When I started trying to figure out which kayak I wanted, I had 3 in mind to pick from. The Ascend FS12T, Perception Pescador 12, and the Eagle Talon 12. From looking at them they are all about the same. From the reviews the Eagle Talon had the best that I saw, plus Dick's has them for $200 off.

I'm going to try it and see if I like it, sure looks like fun with a little exercise to boot.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Went to get a talon kayak Saturday and they had sold them all. Looking around I ended up getting something else.

centerfire_223

What did you wind up with? I was headed to pick mine up on Sunday after church but found out the sale went off the day before. I would have picked it up on Saturday but I was plumbing a house for a friend of mine. Snooze you loose I guess. So I got on Craigslist yesterday and found me an Ascend 128T for a pretty good price.

Ed, what you think about that kayak; Ascend 128T? It sure looks like a beast but from all of the reviews I have read it's actually a really good boat. They do have a couple of issues but nothing I can't fix. 
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Ended up with a canoe. Cheaper than the kayak and similar length. Higher weight capacity and I can take another person  along if I want.

Dave

I just bought one off of craigslist last week.  It's a Hobie Outback with a mirage drive.  It's incredible (only used it once, though).  It's truly a fishing machine.  Met the seller at a park along the Raritan Bay around Sandy Hook, NJ. (he upgraded to one with a higher seat, so brought both down on his roof rack).  I fished for about 2-1/2 hours and never touched the paddle once.  The Mirage drive is a foot pedal system that propels flippers under the kayak.  Then there is a rudder for turning (controlled by a small switch with your left hand).  Has 4 rod holders with a good bit of space.  12 feet long and very sturdy in the water.  Brand new they go for $2300, but on craigslist they sell for $1700-1800.  I was patient and found Sam selling this one for $1200.  I figure I can get that out of it whenever I want as they are popular around here.  I think it's great for lakes and the bay/ocean, but would not recommend it for floating or use on shallower rivers.  The flippers extend down 18" (However, they lay flat against the bottom of the yak when the pedals are in the open scissors position). 

i used it for trolling for blues (and hopefully stripers soon) and wanted to stay out in it all day.  Pedaled for 2-1/2 hrs and never felt any leg pains or suffered cramps afterwards :-)
I think I have to find one for Dante!!!
Here are a few pics

Caught about 4 fish and lost about 4/5 others.  Bluefish have razor sharp teeth and you want them completely played out before trying to 'boat' them. In the distance you can see the beach we launched from.

I used a pair of fish grips once the fish was played out.

Here's the guy I bought it from.  You can see the NYC skyline in the background (behind and to the left of the navy ships)
Also, you can see he has a fish finder mounted on his kayak.

Okanagan

Okanagan

Here's just the boat for you.  Took this pic last week.

weedwalker

Ronnie, The 128s aren't too bad. Maybe a little harder to paddle than some others but are a good solid kayak. Very stable and plenty of room for gear. A friend of mine that I fish with sometimes has one. He kept up with us all day.

slagmaker

You all are making me wish I held out for a kayak.

centerfire_223

I wish I lived closer to Kentucky, one of the guys on Ed's facebook page has a Hobie Outback for $1000. That is dirt cheap!!! If I didn't have so much going on with my daughter's graduation this week I would make the drive over and get it.

I think I will wind up with one of those sometime in the future. I really like the thoughts of not having to paddle while fishing. Seems like it would make boat control much easier.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Dave

That is a great price for an Outback.  You should try to buy it and pick it up when you can. 
I've not fished out of a kayak other than the one time last week, so I really can't compare one to the other.  However, i have talked to a few that have fished out of both and they all rave about having your hands free.  They hum along pretty good, too.