• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Earthquake got me thinking

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, April 03, 2020, 09:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

How little we are and how small our problems are.

NO! Not that at all.

Our neighbors to the west had an earthquake the other day that we felt here. It was a relatively small quake like a 2.0. We have small shakes all the time most are never felt.
It brought to mind a time my boy and I where calling coyotes way east-central Montana. Sitting in a sagebrush flat MILES from what could be called a county road capable of normal traffic. In the middle of the call on a dead spot ( caller muted ) we both could hear a "Whooshing" sound in the west and it moved by us. No trees in Montana and there was no wind going on. We felt what was like a semi going by on a road. After when we were talking about it we did both notice birds flying out of the brush in front of the whoosh.
We discounted all the possibility and the fact we were a 1/4 mile apart we ascertain it was an earthquake. Thinking about it more over time I think I remember others when I was out hunting. The only time I felt them was when My butt was in contact with the ground or in timber and hear and saw the trees moving.
We had a fair-sized on a wail back early morning at home.
It freaked the cats out which woke us up and we felt the bed move and dishes raddled. The window was open and the very distinctive"Whoosh" sound was herd by my wife and myself.
Anyone else felt them out hunting and what was going on with the wildlife at the time?
old is the new young

Okanagan

Fascinating that you could hear it coming out in the open.  Thanks for telling us that one.

I experienced that sound and shake but not while out hunting.  I was alone at my son's house on the Olympic Peninsula, sitting on the carpeted floor and reading.  I heard a rumble off to the west, as you said, sort of like a truck or train rushing towward me.  The sound peaked as it passed and the floor and walls trembled at the peak.  It just flashed past, very high speed, and the sound rolled on toward the east.  Earthquake!  An hour later it was on the news, mild quake centered 20-30 miles west of me.

We lived near Ventura, California in the 70's during the big San Fernando quake.  Just at daylight I woke to our second floor apartment moving and shaking, and ran down the hall to grab our baby from her crib.  The wall on one side would hit that shoulder and then the wall on the other side would hit my other shoulder. Hard to stay upright.  I glanced out a window and saw the eaves of our apartment sway to almost touch the eaves of the next building, and then pull way apart.   Normally there was four feet between the eaves. 

Coyotes-R-Us

:bowingsmilie:

DANG, we have never had one that big in my 66 years.
old is the new young

remrogers

Thirty years ago, we woke early one morning to the shower door banging and the whole house shaking. Went on for half a minute and seemed a lot longer. Was structural damage farther south of us, but we were only shaken up. Been through a number of tremors, back in Colorado, just north of Denver. Felt like a freight train rolling past the house. Weird felling to have what we thought was solid ground move around like that.